Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've had a Serious discussion with my Friend about Linux! ..

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

My friend says to me:

That Linux, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu.. and many other Open-source OS's.. (Based on Linux) have copied Windows 7, or is a copy from Windows 7

That Linux, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu.. and many other Open-source OS's.. (Based on Linux) is not Popular in Use, and daily-use..

That Linux, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu.. and many other Open-source OS's.. (Based on Linux) are not Trustable, LOL..

It was a serious discussion! and i'm totally new to Linux, thats why he say this stuff to me :( to scare me off..

I've always runned Windows my lovely OS.. but wants to change to Linux, but need alot of help, and this one damnly scared me as hell.. :( :blink:

What you think about it?

Cheers!

Edited by -FireBlazer-, 13 March 2018 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

Whoever they are they sound like they are full of crap.

First of all linux copied no one, I mean yes a lot of the Linux desktops emulate the windows experience but it makes sense from a certain persepective.

Distributions like Linux mint look a lot like windows but that is because Linux mint is targeted at windows users.

if it was targeted at mac users it will look like a mac.

And there were a lot of features in linux long before OSX and windows had them.

Virtual desktops? yes that was in linux before them.

Fancy glassy windows? yes in linux as well before windows or OSX

Using a icon to represent a window like the dock in OSX or the taskbar in windows?

Yup ind of there in linux before windows or OSX.

If anything OSX and windows are copying linux not the other way around.

Now yes linux isnt very popular on the desktop i will give your friend that, but thats because linux isnt well known.

But you know where it really shines?

Servers, android smart phones, Roku streaming devices, Amazon fire sticks, Chromebooks, Amazon kindle fire tablets.

Yup all powered by linux

And those certainly are used daily by most people, especially android phones

As for trustworthy? forget it that is all FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt)

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

That Linux, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu.. and many other Open-source OS's.. (Based on Linux) have copied Windows 7, or is a copy from Windows 7

Now that is the best joke I have heard in a long time.

That Linux, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu.. and many other Open-source OS's.. (Based on Linux) is not Popular in Use, and daily-use..

Yes and no, While Linux is not big in the desktop market, Linux runs servers, cell phones ( yes Android is Linux ) cars, Etc Etc.

That Linux, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu.. and many other Open-source OS's.. (Based on Linux) are not Trustable, LOL..

Again very funny joke, Linux is way safer than Windows, ask your friend about Windows telemetry, ask your friend why Windows needs anti virus, anti malware and a bunch of other stuff just so you can surf the net.

I do not even run anti virus software as I dont need it, whats a virus?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

Your friend's name isn't Steve Ballmer is it?  :whistle:

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

Your friend's name isn't Steve Ballmer is it?

Ballmer: “Linux is a cancer” • The Register

Then he said.

Ballmer: I may have called Linux a cancer but now I love it | ZDNet

And today you can run Linux on Windows 10.

Install the Linux Subsystem on Windows 10 | Microsoft Docs

#6 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

Sounds to me like your friend has no actual personal experience of Linux.

But rather than spending time trying to convince you that what he's telling you is misleading, what I'd suggest is that you try Linux out for yourself, and make your own mind up about it.

Fortunately, most Linux "distros" can be run from a USB drive, which enables you to test them out, without making any material changes to your existing setup.

There's plenty of people here who'll be willing to talk you through how to do that.

#7 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

Now that is the best joke I have heard in a long time.

Yes and no, While Linux is not big in the desktop market, Linux runs servers, cell phones ( yes Android is Linux ) cars, Etc Etc.

Again very funny joke, Linux is way safer than Windows, ask your friend about Windows telemetry, ask your friend why Windows needs anti virus, anti malware and a bunch of other stuff just so you can surf the net.

I do not even run anti virus software as I dont need it, whats a virus?

Do you think the Desktop-usage will grow further? and will Linux be the Future of Operating Systems, because its used on Supercomputers, Servers, Cars, and other stuff?.. :s 

Edited by -FireBlazer-, 13 March 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

it is already growing faster.

Thanks to the unpopularity of windows 10 and with time running out on windows 7  and Macs being rather crap these days Linux is really starting to shine.

Right now Linux is at 3% market share (if you pay attention to that sort of thing) that is nearly as much market share as OSX and i feel thanks to apple really loosing it over the last few years that number will drop while linux will rise.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 March 2018 - 01:10 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Yup; very funny indeed..!

What you have to remember is that most people are perfectly happy with their lives as they are. They're happy with what they know. They do not like having to learn something new. Doing so puts them on the defensive.....and for many folks, the best defense is a good offense. So they go on the attack.....

Furthermore, this friend of yours may have had a bad experience with Linux (and therefore reasons that because he couldn't get the hang of it, he cannot see how anybody else could, either).....or, as Madman says, he could simply be full of crap. A lot of people simply 'parrot' what their mates all say, 'cos it helps them to feel like 'one of the gang' (without actually trying whatever it might be for themselves, and forming their own opinion on the matter).

You may try it and find you absolutely love it. Linux is extremely 'subjective'; it's up to the individual to make of it what they will.....the tools are very definitely there to 'customize' a system that will put your mate's Windoze install to shame..! Yes, there's something of a 'learning-curve'.....but thousands of ordinary individuals have made the transition, and so can you.

The folks who always seem to have the biggest problems with Linux are the 'power-users'; these are the Windoze 'experts' who come to Linux, cocky, full of themselves and of pre-concieved notions of what to expect. That's the worst thing you can do with Linux; the best thing you can do is to keep an open mind, and don't be afraid to think 'outside the box'. It often works with Linux.....whereas with Windoze, if you don't follow the 'rules', you're doomed to failure..!

Anyway, Linux is as easy to use as Windoze these days.....if not easier in many respects. Don't believe all this crap about having to 'live in the terminal'; although it's there, and is a very powerful tool in its own right, many people run Linux for years without going anywhere near it.

The best advice I can give is the same as a friend gave me nearly 5 years ago. Try it; you'll never know unless you do.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 14 March 2018 - 05:59 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

https://www.datamation.com/open-source/windows-vs-linux-in-2018.html

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:33 AM

If you need an example of where Linux does things better than Windows, then I suggest you look at updating.

I have a 72MB connection, and yet it has just taken me 27 minutes to update my Windows 8.1 machine (OS only) with Microsoft's monthly offering of security updates (about 340MB of them). This is partly because BITS (background information transfer system) does not properly utilise the download speed of my connection, but mostly because Windows cannot update drivers and services on the fly, and must shut down your computer to install new ones.

Compare that with the updating experience I have with my Linux Mint machine, where the whole machine (OS and Programs) is updated (usually within 2 or 3 minutes max) and where there is almost never any need to shut down my machine as part of the update process.

Edited by Gary R, 14 March 2018 - 03:35 AM.

#12 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

Also you can avoid Windows ransomware especially if your surfing from non-admin account with Firejail (sandbox).

#13 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

I use three versions of 'nix. Puppy Linux on a CD/DVD ... great for admin/recovery type purposes. I use Debian for desktop, only using their repositories so its secure and receives security patches in a timely manner, and works great as a desktop system, meeting all of my needs. I run as a user on that, so any breakouts/hacks are limited in what damage might be caused. All of our PC's sit behind a second router (old netgear) which links to the main router (Virgin Hub). Off that Virgin hub we also have a server - a old Celeron PC that runs OpenBSD. OpenBSD's base/core system is all ready to go, has a web server ...etc. just a case of installing it and configuring things as you desire. Really secure, but if a breakout did occur then it can't access our other PC's as they're behind that netgear router.

With Windows more often programs are installed from all over the place, multiple counter party risks. Debian has reasonably extensive repositories and are all from a single source, with many many daily users. Their release cycles are convenient and update mechanism is really quick and easy. Run as user and its secure, whilst its easy to ctrl-alt-Fn switch to a alternative login screen and login as root as and when needed.

Windows is nice for the latest versions of programs and latest hardware support, and being commercial is more polished. Debian however fulfills my needs as a daily desktop to the extent I don't even have Windows loaded (but other family members do prefer Windows).

For me, Puppy, Debian and OpenBSD are simply the best combination, but each to their own. New users to the 'nix world would IMO perhaps find it best to start with Puppy Linux and expand from their. Nice and easy to get up and running without even having to install it, i.e. burn it to a CD/DVD (or write it to a USB). Then consider the alternatives as and when you've become more familiar with the 'nix style of doing things.

OpenBSD (-release) data server (that auto detects and rsshfs mounts one of its folders onto my desktop system).

Desktop system sshfs mounts my android phone (SSHelper app installed on phone).

Desktop system runs X under non-root, and is mostly booted read only (desktop changes lost at shutdown/reboot).

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

I've been using Linux since 2014 and find it does everything I used to do using Windows.

So many different choices of Linux and Linux GUI / Desktops to fit any user from plain and simple to eye candy if that's what you want.

I use old computers eight to ten years old and find that Linux allows me to use them until the motherboards finally die from old age.

If you research all of the available software in the repositories you will find excellent software that can do the same as Windows software if not better and without all of the Windows problems.

I can't even imagine any reason why I would ever return to Windows OS after using Linux since Windows XP EOL.

I have a couple of Windows XP desktops that I still use, one is for engineering programs I got from work and one for Microsoft Flight Simulators as Linux Flight Simulator isn't the same.

Both of these Windows XP desktops are used offline and will always remain offline.

Migration from Windows to Linux is an adventure and the best way to learn Linux is using it.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

My friend says to me:

It was a serious discussion! and i'm totally new to Linux, thats why he say this stuff to me :( to scare me off..

I've always runned Windows my lovely OS.. but wants to change to Linux, but need alot of help, and this one damnly scared me as hell.. :( :blink:

What you think about it?

Cheers!

You have come to the right place to get some good Linux advice because your friend really lied to you. Not only can we give you some honest, true facts about Linux but we can assist you in picking out an appropriate Linux distribution and install it as well.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users