Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyloggers.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Overath

Overath

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

I believe it is possible I have a keylogger on my PC. ( I have Windows !0 on my desktop)

Please don't post and simply say this is highly unlikely or make comments in the same vein. Just assume I am right and hopefully I may get an answer to my question!

I must add I am a layperson with computers and in no sense an expert.

If there is a keylogger present does this present a danger if one was using a credit card, or a system such as PayPal, when buying a product using the Internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbuster225

zbuster225

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

Yes, that presents a danger when using a credit card.  Conceptually it records all of your keystrokes and it would not be difficult to parse looking for credit card numbers or other juicy information. Your best option is to reinstall the OS at your earliest convenience.  Your second best option is to be 100% sure you scrubbed it.

Something important to remember is that for the keylogger to be "useful" to the person who installed it, they need to be able to get the data.  Some keyloggers would require them to return to the scene of the crime and manually grab a text file.  Other keyloggers will send the data via your network connection (or in some cases, bluetooth.) Air-gapping your computer and limiting physical access to your computer might be a good course of action until you're sure it is gone.

#3 MarkMackerel

MarkMackerel

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

If you do have this keylogger then assume everything you have typed since you got it is in the attackers hands. You will need to promptly change all passwords, cancel all cards etc. Do this from a different machine. Assume anything you connected to the device is also compromised and reformat those too.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

A keylogger is always a danger, as it will record confidential information for third parties.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 STS-1

STS-1

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:32 AM

Also keep in mind that you can have hardware keyloggers as well as software keyloggers, so if your talking about a computer at work or somewhere that is open access to other people check the computer (and ethernet cable if hardwired) for odd looking or unrecognized devices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users