Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium 7 backup times clone vs image ????

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 provlima

provlima

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

I have seen a wide backup time discrepancy between creating a clone vs creating a backup image using macrium

A clone of a 291 GB of data on a 931 GB partition took 22 minutes and when I imaged the same partition it took over 4 hours

Does this sound right??  If not what could possibly be causing it??

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

Hi,

The clone will only copy the sectors with data to the other HDD as is, by default the image backup will copy the same amount of data but will compress the information to reduce the spaced needed to store the backup, it depends on the computer memory and processor power to do that task. The level of compression selected will also affects the time it takes, usually the default option is the recommended for best results in terms of balance between compression and speed.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

IME...the backup should be faster than the clone, if I remember correctly.  I don't backup data files...I merely make duplicate copies and store them on other drives which are seldom used.  Windows and programs installed are the substance of my efforts.

Even 20 years...I've never seen a backup take 4 hours.  As SD noted...the partition/size and the contents may have something to do with your situation.

https://blog.macrium.com/techie-tuesday-image-or-clone-e6be74abb089

Louis

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

I'm wondering if trying AOMEI BackUpper as a test is worthwhile; if a long backup also happens under AOMEI, then something is going on "outside" of the backup utilities.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 provlima

provlima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

Thank you 

Took your advice and downloaded AEOMI

The 280 GB backup that took over 4 hrs on macrium (incl the file verificatio)

took 2 hrs 35 minutes (incl the verification) on Aeomi

What are your thoughts on the this...normal or laptop problem?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

I'll have to listen in alongside you and learn from others, I have no solution suggestion at this time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 tr0910

tr0910

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:02 PM

I have seen a few times where Macrium has had problems taking hours and hours.  It was only resolved after uninstalling and reinstalling.

Overall I have been impressed with how fast it is for backups using its default compression.  A backup of a 50gig Windows system can happen in just a few minutes.  However if I unplug my gigabit wired connection and let the backup happen to my NAS over wifi, the speed is dismal.  As usual, YMMV.

I think something is wrong with your Macrium install.

#8 needowelum

needowelum

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

IME...the backup should be faster than the clone, if I remember correctly.  I don't backup data files...I merely make duplicate copies and store them on other drives which are seldom used.  Windows and programs installed are the substance of my efforts.

Even 20 years...I've never seen a backup take 4 hours.  As SD noted...the partition/size and the contents may have something to do with your situation.

https://blog.macrium.com/techie-tuesday-image-or-clone-e6be74abb089

Louis

Windows 10 pro, Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16 GB ram, 1 tb SSD

Hello Louis,

Sounds like we have a similar approach to Macrium.

There are numerous factors that might affect the backup time.  Mine generally take about 10 minutes.  Image backup file size varies between 11-14 GB.

I try to make it as simple as possible.  I use Macrium free, thus no incremental backup option.

My OS partition size is 40 GB.  The rest of the drive is partitioned for for data storage, including portable software that is run from there.  I try to use portable whenever possible.  Using portables in this way makes the image backups smaller, and the restore process simpler as well because there is less to update when getting the restored partition back up to speed, not to mention restoring a smaller backup file is faster as well, again, generally around 10 minutes.

I'm sure having a SSD helps in this regard.

I have several internal hard drives, incrementally syncing the data to them with backup software, creating redundant backups.

You can easlly use Disk Management to shrink the OS volume to any size you deem appropriate.  The used space on my 40 GB OS partition is 22.4 GB.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

Could some, but not all, of the slowness be attributed to the USB "through-put" of the cabling and the working-speed of certain USB external hard-drives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users