Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't downgrade bios on HP laptop.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

Okay well at least that is something. I'm going to research it more and see if can do something about it. Maybe I'll also ask at HP.  Thanks Joe C for your help with this and pursuing that angle and also to JohnC_21 and everyone else!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:01 PM

Actually there is some good information here that I never seen before:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629

I'm going to follow it and take it slow.

Added: Question: iIve tried the usual stuff already.

But there is instructions on how to do it if windows does not start. Do you think I could follow that?

It looks like a way in through the firmware management of diagnostics.

"Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is firmware code from a chip on your motherboard that provides extra functionality, beyond the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). If your computer will not boot into Windows, and the computer features a UEFI Startup Menu, you can update the system BIOS using UEFI."

Edited by Tomhere, 13 March 2018 - 07:05 PM.

#33 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

If you closely followed the guide to create a Bios Flash Drive and it still does not work, then your only option is to contact HP support, and if your out of warranty, it might cost you

#34 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:07 PM

I'll give it a try as you suggest and if it still doesn't work and HP has no solutions, then it's upgrade laptop time. And I'll never touch the bios again which is a policy I've always followed but for this one time.

Thanks again guys for your help.

Edited by Tomhere, 13 March 2018 - 08:10 PM.

#35 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

Okay so I decided to just download the F38 bios  -the bios that is on my computer in a corrupted state, and reinstall it using the utility that comes with the bios which apparently allows current or new bios to be installed through windows. So it seems to have completed easily, quickly and successfully with no indications of continued corruption:

One:

Attached File  one.jpg   36.49KB   0 downloads

Two:

Attached File  two.jpg   72.34KB   0 downloads

So I guess my bios is good at this point? 

I'll try to create recovery usb for another attempt to downgrade bios soon. I'm going to take a break.

Added: I wonder if its this recovery usb thing that corrupts the bios because it just doesn't work right and then you get the 2 blinking lights. It's never worked. I've done it probably 100 times. Maybe I won't mess with it and I'll wait for a new update from HP and leave the bios alone.

Though maybe I should see if rollback is available. I'll check it later. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Tomhere, 13 March 2018 - 08:23 PM.

#36 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

Okay so since my bios has been reinstalled and apparently uncorrupted I decided to see if it will offer a roll back to an older bios and so I shutdown, turned computer on, pressed escape, pressed F2 and went into diagnostics/firmware. I then chose the roll back bios option and it found a bios to rollback to. But the name of it is F.00, which sounds suicidal, lol. I don't know what that is so I decided to not rollback and I exited. Any ideas about that? I think later I will try the usb recovery flash drive again just to see if that behaves differently. So at least a little progress i guess.

Attached File  news.jpg   88.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  new.jpg   103.89KB   0 downloads

Edited by Tomhere, 13 March 2018 - 08:20 PM.

#37 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

Okay so I guess I'm going to make a final post on this unless something compelling comes up.

So I went back into diagnostics and attempted the roll back and it stated it could not find the file.

So then i did the usb key and it did the same thing... two light blinks over and over.

So then I reinstalled the bios to fix any possible corruption and that went fine.

So now I'm just going to leave it alone. I'll wait for HP to release an update.  Thanks again everyone.

#38 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

I tried something different. I tried to downgrade it through firmware management in system diagnostics.

The instructions are somewhere but basically you go into the bios, and you note the system board ID. In my case it is 8014.

This number represents the bios bin file that will be used to update the bios.

So you create the usb recovery drive and then maybe just note where that bin file is: it is located in the bios folder/current folder. There are 5 bin files and 5 other files. So I noted that there is an 8014 file.

Okay so then shutdown computer. Put usb drive in, turn computer on, hit esc, hit f2 for system diabnostics, firmware management, update the bios/with specific image.

So then make the update bios from image choice, and it provides a drop down menu where I can access the usb recovery. I navigate to the 08014 bin file, it confirms it will install the F37 bios, and then it states unable to access the image file.

I also run into this message if I try to do rollbacks in the two ways already discussed.

It's like it's blocked from doing it. Maybe it is locked.

I have no problem reinstalling the F38 bios. But anything below that it won't do it. I'm going to see if HP can provide any more help with this if it is locked.

Edited by Tomhere, 14 March 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#39 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

Okay last post. I found out that HP does lock many/most bios it releases which stops rollback and downgrading. Any bios with an important security fix would be locked. As this one has a critical fix, it is certainly locked. I'll look to other ways to optimize windows 10 performance to make up for any slowdown caused by the new bios and its spectre fix.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

Edited by Tomhere, 14 March 2018 - 08:52 PM.

#40 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

There are those out there that are brave enough to mod their bios chips, and they help you and provide tools in which you can do that. It's not for me though

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/bios-tools.529/

#41 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

There are those out there that are brave enough to mod their bios chips, and they help you and provide tools in which you can do that. It's not for me though

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/bios-tools.529/

Interesting - thank you.

#42 george_gi

george_gi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

Hello,

sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a similar kind of problem.

Few days ago I updated my HP laptop to the latest BIOS: HP 15-ay041nv

BIOS: F.41 Rev.A 28.9 MB 9 March 2018

Couple problems I noticed immediately is that the laptop became laggy and boot time increased from 10sec to 40sec.

The worst problem though is that now the power adapter is not working when plugged in. It can't power up the laptop (for some odd reason), neither charge the battery while the laptop is ON but the power light indicator turns blue like it used to.
The only way for me to turn the laptop on is via battery. And the only way to charge the battery is to turn the laptop Off, power indicator turns red and battery charges normally with full capacity. Then I can run the laptop for couple hours before battery dies again and keep repeating this process.

This never had happened to me before the latest BIOS update. I bought this laptop 11-2016 and it has served me very well until this point without any problems.

Here are the things I tried before posting here:

1) Uninstalled "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" several times using these guide

2) Tried 2 new power adapters from PC shops

3) Formatted my laptop and recovered to factory settings
4) Re-installed the latest BIOS and loaded factory settings

5) Tried to roll back via win key + B at start up, it re-installed latest BIOS F.41 and not previous F.40

6) Tried with every possible way I could find (this topic included) to rollback to previous stable BIOS version F.40 with no results, latest BIOS seems locked.

Last thing I want to try tomorrow is open the laptop and clear CMOS (doubt it...but)

I wanted to contact the HP customer support service but there is not an option, due to my expired warranty (1 year).
Is there any way I can contact HP and forward this problem to them? I had a perfectly running computer and now I can't use it. Lost hours searching for solution with no results.....this SUCKS

Can someone suggest any other solution to this problem or any way to rollback to previous BIOS? Or any way to contact HP support so they can forward this problem and release new BIOS or allow a previous version rollback.

Thanks a lot in advance!
George

Edited by george_gi, 24 March 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#43 Tomhere

Tomhere

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

You can try posting on the HP forum:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/

I haven't found them very helpful with this bios topic but maybe you'll have better luck. I found no way to roll it back. I gave up trying to "mod" it. Maybe there is a way in that direction. I don't know.

Maybe they can help you troubleshoot the battery issue and come up with some things you haven't tried just in case it is not the bios or if it is the bios, it can still be corrected.

My understanding is the "spectre" bios is locked. I've read they lock almost all the bios they release and definitely do it with any security update bios. This bios update you have if it deals with spectre is considered "critical" so it's probably got two locks on it.

There is a tool called inspectre.. it checks your computer to see if it has been protected against meltdown/spectre. It has a roll back feature that allows you to deactivate meltdown and spectre protections with restart - the ones that are software/registry based not bios based.. it may help you gain the ability to charge your laptop I don't know... in any case it is not a good long term solution since it leaves you unprotected. But if it does correct it, it may give some information about what is going on to the right technical ear. Doing this did bring my computer to normal speed (one of the issues) but did not affect the heat issue.

It does suck. I never tried the cmos battery thing, but I did disassemble the laptop (a nightmare) to try to clean the fan but this had no effect. I ended up buying a new laptop (another nightmare when you try to save money and buy low end stuff). Tremendous loss of time and energy.

I refuse to touch/update the bios now which was always been my policy before anyway. I don't know if my feelings on that will change in the future but right now I'm thinking a hell to the no. I think i read eventually M is going to provide updates to microcode through WU but not sure about that.

Good luck.

Edited by Tomhere, 24 March 2018 - 07:22 PM.

#44 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:31 PM

You may find the following interesting. Windows 8 worked closely with UEFI firmware, Windows 10 more so. If I am reading it correctly, Windows update can access and update firmware. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/bringup/windows-uefi-firmware-update-platform

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/updating-device-firmware-using-windows-update

#45 george_gi

george_gi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

I managed to fix the problem by removing the CMOS battery and clearing BIOS settings. For some reason this fixed the issue.
I tried the inspectre the boot time returns to normal when spectre is disabled.

Thanks a lot for trying to help me.

Best regards,
George

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users