Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I buy a 3rd party battery for my ThinkPad X220

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Windows10User

Windows10User

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:22 AM

I'm looking for a battery to replace my 6 cell battery on my ThinkPad X220. The Lenovo ones are really expensive so I might be buying a thrid party battery from Green Cell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Extended-Battery-ThinkPad-6600mAh/dp/B01MTNY7GD/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1520894008&sr=1-1&keywords=thinkpad%2Bx220%2Bbattery%2B9%2Bcell&th=1

Is this a good battery brand or should I look elsewhere? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:24 AM

I have 3 laptops never have I bought an OEM battery, all have had replacements.  The one in my Toshiba was replaced 3 years back and show very low wear

.  Both of my Acers have 9 cells, best move I have made.  Not only do I get stupid long run time but the battery lifts the back up about 3/4" which has dropped the temps about 10 degrees F.  One Acer is a old mini 10 inch screen jobby I get "9" hours run time which is great for trips with delays and long flights.  I have bought a 3 on Ebay from sellers with high 99+ ratings. all have been about 1/2 price of OEM.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

I; though, have had some bad experiences with generic batteries wherein they seem fine for a few months and then just go to heck.  But; I have also been able to find brand new "Genuine Lenovo X220 battery", for example as an eBay search for 30 cents on the dollar.  That battery has an onboard computer of its own and if the laptop is not happy with the knockoff, you'll be sorry.  If Green Cell has a decent reputation and generally sells quality batteries, I might try it; at least your battery is easily replaceable.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

I have had hit or miss luck with off brand batteries. However it's best to remember that Laptop manufactures don't make their own batteries either. You can by an inexpensive battery but you may need to replace it again in a year. If that replacement cost is acceptable vs paying more for an OEM battery then it's worth the risk. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 13 March 2018 - 08:10 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

I have had good luck from third party after market batteries for laptops and battery backups with zero complaints.

Already mentioned by Sneakycyber post #4

"However it's best to remember that Laptop manufactures don't make their own batteries either."

Check the reviews of the seller / merchandiser where you are considering making a purchase to see what the warranty and return policy is and the seller reputation.

Also make certain the replacement battery meets the requirements or exceeds the Ampere Hour, more is better.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users