Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random restarts, no bluescreen. Suspect PSU

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 AlisonChains

AlisonChains

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

Posting my EventViewer, Speccy, & Sysnative logs. Thank you!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wlB2HbfZ5A8AVCnyBzqBabM

Attached File  AdminEventViewer.zip   108.17KB   0 downloads

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   925.33KB   1 downloads

A little backstory, about a month ago this problem started occurring in a very small & quite frankly, crappy case. Memtest came back clean, so I moved my PC to a larger case with more airflow and a couple more fans (Including a fan to exhaust from PSU instead of the PSU blowing straight to the floor) and went about a week and a half with no restarts, until today. The most recent boot time in speccy is from my PC shutting down mid-game in CS:GO, and then booting back up. This only seems to happen under load. Originally it would only restart playing Cities: Skylines, then began happening on CS:GO as well.

Edited by AlisonChains, 12 March 2018 - 02:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Hi Alison, I'll take a look at yopur Sysnative report. If you suspect PSU please also upload a Speccy report.

Please Download Speccy by Piriform

• Please download Speccy System Information Tool and save it to somewhere convenient such as your desktop.
  • Close any programs that may be running including your browser and double click Speccy.exe to run the tool.
  • Watch out for any offers to install other programs such as google chrome and untick the box(es) if you don't want them.
  • Speccy will very quickly scan your pc and create a report.
  • Top left of screen click file and select Publish Snapshot...
  • Click Yes to proceed.
  • Copy the URL to your clipboard and paste it into your next reply.

#3 AlisonChains

AlisonChains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

Hi Alison, I'll take a look at yopur Sysnative report. If you suspect PSU please also upload a Speccy report.

Please Download Speccy by Piriform

• Please download Speccy System Information Tool and save it to somewhere convenient such as your desktop.
  • Close any programs that may be running including your browser and double click Speccy.exe to run the tool.
  • Watch out for any offers to install other programs such as google chrome and untick the box(es) if you don't want them.
  • Speccy will very quickly scan your pc and create a report.
  • Top left of screen click file and select Publish Snapshot...
  • Click Yes to proceed.
  • Copy the URL to your clipboard and paste it into your next reply.

Editted my original post to include my speccy URL

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Your PSU looks OK but your Seagate HDD is reported as Warning. I'd like you to run Seagate Seatools to get a second opinion. https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe

#5 AlisonChains

AlisonChains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

Your PSU looks OK but your Seagate HDD is reported as Warning. I'd like you to run Seagate Seatools to get a second opinion. https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup.exe

Any idea which of these tests I should be running? Short Generic came back as a "Pass", as well as Smart Check.

Long Generic is currently running on that drive, the Advanced Test option gave me a warning about possibly losing data so I didn't do it yet.

https://i.imgur.com/2WaId8c.png

Edited by AlisonChains, 12 March 2018 - 03:16 PM.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

No need to do the Advanced test. When the long test is done, download Chrystal Disk Info https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller and post a screenshot of the SMART report. It may take 2 screenshots to get it all in.

#7 AlisonChains

AlisonChains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

No need to do the Advanced test. When the long test is done, download Chrystal Disk Info https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller and post a screenshot of the SMART report. It may take 2 screenshots to get it all in.

https://i.imgur.com/UFY3ZkY.png

I hope this is what you mean by SMART report, I don't see an option for that so I just assumed it was this main page with the drives info. Based on what I'm seeing this drive is done, huh?

Edited by AlisonChains, 12 March 2018 - 04:48 PM.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

Yes that was the report I wanted. There was a caution on the same value as on the Speccy. Since all the other critical values are OK I wouldn't worry too much but I would backup whatever you deem as important and keep an eye on the "Reallocated Sectors Count."

Have you tried updating the drivers? I'd also check that everything in the case is seated tight and there's no unplugged wires. When it started right after moving it to a larger case that would be where I started.

#9 AlisonChains

AlisonChains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Yes that was the report I wanted. There was a caution on the same value as on the Speccy. Since all the other critical values are OK I wouldn't worry too much but I would backup whatever you deem as important and keep an eye on the "Reallocated Sectors Count."

Have you tried updating the drivers? I'd also check that everything in the case is seated tight and there's no unplugged wires. When it started right after moving it to a larger case that would be where I started.

This drive is hella old, I'm okay without it. I'm going to give the PC a run without it for a while and see if the restarting problem persists. I've never done anything involving drivers with a hard drive, always just plug n play. I didn't even realize HDD's had drivers.

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

I was going to suggest trying without it. You must be psychic lol. I meant drivers for all your other hardware,

#11 AlisonChains

AlisonChains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

I was going to suggest trying without it. You must be psychic lol. I meant drivers for all your other hardware,

Just an advanced layman :D I've been struggling with this one for a while though, since I convinced myself it was the PSU overheating or something and not a HDD I didn't even consider it despite google having a few answers where a similar issue ended up being just that. 

Also, sorry if I misspoke above, I moved it to a larger higher airflow case in order to address the potential overheating issue, since I was convinced that's what it was. It was an issue in the old case as well. Thanks for your help & I'll update this post if it happens again after the HDD removal. Cheers mate!  :love4u:

Edited by AlisonChains, 12 March 2018 - 07:10 PM.

#12 AlisonChains

AlisonChains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:09 PM

That happened faster than I expected, got another restart mid-game just now, didn't have time to get the temps when it occurred.

#13 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

The only temp we can't get is for your PSU. Can you try to remove the exhaust you put on to see if things improve? That is my next suspect.

#14 AlisonChains

AlisonChains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:00 PM

The only temp we can't get is for your PSU. Can you try to remove the exhaust you put on to see if things improve? That is my next suspect.

It's built into the case, non removable. I opted for this case because of the added airflow where the PSU exhaust fan blows to, the air travels front to back across my hard drives and out the back. It happened on my standard case before where the fan was aiming straight towards the ground, it had about half an inch of clearance. This is the case I'm using now.

https://i.imgur.com/jP9gl6G.png 

The bottom portion of the case is what holds my hard drives, the PSU sits above that in the standard bottom left corner, and there's two fans blowing from the front of the case (Right side in picture) to the back. The only thing I can think to try at this point is maybe reversing the direction of the front/back airflow so no hard drive temp air is blowing near the PSU, but the PSU's fan is blowing downward so I can't imagine that's the issue. I may just have to bite the bullet here and buy a new PSU, which is what I was leaning towards doing anyways since I'm doubly convinced that's the issue now. I'd love to hear your opinion on that.

#15 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

That is the reason I was suggesting removing the exhaust. I also believe now we're dealing with a bad PSU. Just thought maybe the exhaust system was causing it to overheat. What are you using for a PSU?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users