Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question/help with creating a portable boot CD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Once again, I appeal to my friends at BC for help and guidance. I've been trying to do this on my own for a good while now. At this point, I feel it would be much better if I followed someone else's input/advice as  everything I've tried or looked at resulted in some type of roadblock.

What I've tried:

WinPE for W7 SP 1 - (too advanced for me. The instructions are obviously for experienced & informed Win PE builders. Even though I read & reread the instructions several times in hopes to be successful)

WinBuilder - (supposedly creates a winPE disk for you. Unfortunately, the instructions I found were for version 80 & the version that I have is version 82. You'd think that versions 80 & 82 would be similar enough that the instructions would work OK. Not so, in my case anyway.

PLOP - (after reading the readme, I'm not too sure that this solution would work for what I'm needing, although it seems viable. This is obviously a foreign product since the English README.TXT version has  a few grammatical errors and the fact that there is a German version, but for free I'd willingly overlook minor errors :) )

WAIK - (Windows Automated Installation Kit - Part of the WinPE installation. From what I can understand, only a small part of this rather large ISO is needed for the building of a WinPE??? ((still some confusion about this, took me a few of the re-reads to learn that)) )

W7 install.iso - (Thought this was what I needed too. After wasting 2 DVDs, I learned that I now have 2 copies of my W7 Home Premium DVD installation disks, one 32 bit & one 64 bit. OK, they're not a complete waste, just not what I'm needing.)

The above is the culmination of about 2 weeks total. Of course, I'm not talking about a solid 2 weeks as I've worked at this only off and on.

Explanation of what I'm needing/wanting:

I have back-up images on my wife's laptop that are stored on a USB external HD. In order to restore these images, I'm assuming that I would need to be in a Win environment since the back-up program is a Win App. The laptop is used a lot for critical tasks like paying our bills among other things. The laptop is getting a little old (approaching 6 years) therefore, it does not have a built-in DVD drive, the optical drive is a CD drive. If need be though, I can boot from an external USB DVD drive that I have as I've successfully tested this. Of course, I'd rather be able to boot from the built-in CD Drive for obvious reasons. Another not-so-obvious reason is that the wife, although quite knowledgeable is a non-techie. BTW, the app I use for back-ups/restore is DriveImage XML.

In my collection of optical disks, I have a rescue/boot disk, trouble is, it's Linux. Just stick it in, reboot & voila! I'm hoping for a Win version of this. Surely, this exists???

Edited by PieLam, 12 March 2018 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

i have read this twice and im still unsure what your asking or wanting

what is the reason for booting from an external device? or wanting to?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

DriveImageXML is not the best program for creating disk images, especially on the later UEFI/GPT disk computers. That being said you can download Hirens CD which has DriveImageXML incorporated into it. This is XP based. If the computer is UEFI you would need to change your mode from UEFI to Legacy/CSM in order to boot but Hirens has a system driver that can read GPT disks. I don't know how DriveImageXML handles a GPT disk. 

You can download the live linux disk runtime provides though they list it as experimental. Read the important note.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 March 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

Hi,

If you are using the free version of DriveImageXML I suggest you replace the program with Macrium Reflect free in my opinion its a better product and it can create the Windows PE disk for you very easily.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

i have read this twice and im still unsure what your asking or wanting

what is the reason for booting from an external device? or wanting to?

I'm sorry you're having problems understanding my post. 

In short, I am NOT wanting to boot from the external HD, Rather, I'm wanting to boot from a CD in the event that I need to restore from the image files that are stored on the external HD in the event of an internal HD failure.

Hope that helps.

#6 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Hi,

If you are using the free version of DriveImageXML I suggest you replace the program with Macrium Reflect free in my opinion its a better product and it can create the Windows PE disk for you very easily.

Yes, I'm using the free version of DriveImageXML.

I'll try  Macrium Reflect again as you suggest. The last time I used it was quite some time ago. I think it was v6 or so, I forget what the problem was.

On my desktop, I use EaseUS for my back-ups, it too has a built-in PE disk creator. EaseUS, unfortunately, is but for a single PC. I haven't even tried it on the laptop for obvious reasons..

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,652 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

On my desktop, I use EaseUS for my back-ups, it too has a built-in PE disk creator. EaseUS, unfortunately, is but for a single PC. I haven't even tried it on the laptop for obvious reasons.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "for a single PC". Are you referring to the paid version. Easeus Todo Backup Free can be used on as many PCs as you have and the Free version is very capable.

#8 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

On my desktop, I use EaseUS for my back-ups, it too has a built-in PE disk creator. EaseUS, unfortunately, is but for a single PC. I haven't even tried it on the laptop for obvious reasons.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "for a single PC". Are you referring to the paid version. Easeus Todo Backup Free can be used on as many PCs as you have and the Free version is very capable.

Yes, the paid version. I didn't know there was a free version.

Good to hear about the free version.  I'll have to look into it.

Incidentally:

RE: from  JohnC_21
>>> DriveImageXML is not the best program for creating disk images,

You're not alone in that assessment. I'm going to give Macrium a try again & see how it does.

>>> If the computer is UEFI

My desktop is (even if but an early implementation), but not the laptop.  The laptop is close to 6 years old. The desktop is around 2 1/2 years old.

>>> I don't know how DriveImageXML handles a GPT disk.

Sorry, I don't even know what GPT is.

Evidently, this BC software isn't the same as what I was used to.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,652 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

Easeus Todo Backup Free also does File/Folder backup where Macrium does not but Macrium is very fast.

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

GPT disks, are required to boot from the lastest firmware designated as UEFI.  SecureBoot is only available on UEFI computers and is enabled by default on OEMs with pre-installed Windows 8 and Windows 10. Easeus and Macrium have no problems creating images on GPT/UEFI computers. Macrium's PE disk even supports booting with SecureBoot enabled.

https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/

https://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users