Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome Extra Characters Added When Pasting Passwords

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nikki605

nikki605

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

I am running 2 Win 7 Pro PCs and have been using IE11 on both.  I have been finding more and more websites that no longer work properly under IE11, so I installed Chrome V65.0.3325.146 to try it.

I ran into a problem almost immediately trying to paste passwords from my password manager, Password Prompter, into various websites on both PCs.  In IE11, I would copy/paste the password (CTRL+c/CTRL+v) with no problem.  In Chrome, when I paste the password into the field, extra, random characters are added which causes the login to fail.  In the attached screen shot (NOT a real password I use - for illustration purposes only), the first 10 characters are the correct sample password but everything after the "3" are added when I paste into Chrome.  IE11 and Firefox do not have this problem.  It also pastes correctly into Notepad.  I installed the ShowPassword extension in Chrome in order to see what was happening which is how I got the screen shot.  I have tried pasting with both CTRL+v and CRTL+Shift+v but get the same results.

7JFpY9y.jpg

I have installed 2 extensions which did not help - Allow Copy and Don't F**k With Paste.

I know that Chrome has an internal password manager but I choose not to use it.

Any idea what is causing this password paste problem and how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users