Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

18 year olds should able to drink a beer (in the US)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

I know this has been discussed before but I really believe that if your old enough to die for you nation you should be old enough to have a beer. After all thats how it use to be then for some ridiculous reason they changed the law, now you have to be 21 to drink any type of alcohol. I always found this to be lame and dumb also very hypocritical, I mean aren't 18 year olds considered as adults in the US then why not let them enjoy a beer? I mean its not hard hard liquor shot not there drinking vodka. :rolleyes:

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 March 2018 - 06:48 PM.
Moved to General Chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

Back in the 60's, many 18 and older in Minnesota would drive to Wisconsin to buy "near beer".  It was only 2.5% content and you could buy legally if over 18.    Many states have their own laws but have decided that 21 is the age.  Yup, old enough to die for your country but can't buy beer.

#3 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

Age limits didn't seem to be a problem for Drew Barrymore.

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

Age limits didn't seem to be a problem for Drew Barrymore.

Good point. If there worried about people under 18 drinking alcohol well I got news for you no matter how hard you try your always going to have high school aged people drinking alcohol especially 18 year olds, so why not allow 18 year olds to at least drink a beer since there going to anyway. But this way you can at least have some regulation over what and how much there drinking.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

If you are old enough to die for your country you are old enough to drink. You are also old enough to smoke, get married, vote and do all the other things those over 21 can do.

We trust a 19 or 20 year old in a Abrams tank will do the right thing but then we say he/she is not responsible enough to have a beer, what a joke.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

We never had any problems getting beer, alcohol, drugs, marijuana or anything else we wanted at 18 years old although that was in 1970 GOOD TIMES. :thumbup2:

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

We never had any problems getting beer, alcohol, drugs, marijuana or anything else we wanted at 18 years old although that was in 1970 GOOD TIMES. :thumbup2:

:lol:

#8 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

Having been in the Navy  at 18 years old, stationed in Orlando, Florida back in 1988, I can assure you that I can still remember going to Captains Mass for drinking underage....funny thing was, a military ID was all it took to buy all the drinks you could drink, in the on base "Mariners club".... but when you get back to the barracks, I discovered that they don't look kindly to underagers drinking. ....Loss of 2 ranks. Restricted Duty, regular duty, and I was not allowed to eat at the McDonalds on base, loss of pay for one month.. 

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

@ Mason21

Were you drinking beer or hard liquor? Because 18 year olds shouldn't be drinking hard liquor, and I have a pretty liberal view about 18 year olds and alcohol.

#10 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

Both. Just saying....these rules (being 18) and not being legal to drink, have been around a long time. 

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

Both. Just saying....these rules (being 18) and not being legal to drink, have been around a long time. 

But not always, and I find it hypocritical that you can die for your nation but you cant have a beer.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

Well, there are those of us that would raise the age of majority back to 21 years old for "virtually everything."

There's plenty of research that indicates that those under 20 (and, in fact, up through somewhere near to 25, but to a lesser extent as age progresses) have not yet reached mature brain development and myelinization.

Yet, oddly enough, with the above being said I think the idea of a drinking age is stupid, and the anecdotes offered above show why.  You don't learn to drink responsibly by alcoholic beverages being "forbidden fruit" until some arbitrary age, but by being exposed to them, by responsible adults, like you are to most other things as you make your trip from child to adult.  I'm of the opinion that a huge part of our binge drinking culture among the college-aged would disappear were the stupid "forbidden fruit" aspect of how the United States treats drinking were to be removed.  You just don't hear about this kind of behavior on the scale we see it here in countries where there is no legal drinking age.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#13 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 845 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

It's often true that if you're denied something, you want it all the more.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#14 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

It's often true that if you're denied something, you want it all the more.

Agreed and very true.

#15 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 845 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

SuperSapien64, if I may:

There's another thread that's a cousin to this topic, legalizing drugs. This is just a slight diversion but does emphasize legalities and restrictions.
Such denial also promotes efforts to circumvent restrictions such as during Prohibition where Jamaican ginger (alcohol) was made to the detriment of thousands.
That denial can be economic as well where the price for a gram of heroin in Russia can be $500,  but homemade Krokodil is $50. 
I watched a Nat. Geo. TV segment about this recently, hit like a sledgehammer.

Krokodil (heroin substitute)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine
Images of effects (not for faint of heart). Some of the photos are BS, many show what it does to the body-

http://www.google.com/search?q=effects+of+Krokodil&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK3P3k05TaAhVV_mMKHfHACdQQ_AUICSgB&biw=1024&bih=644

"Jake"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica_ginger
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users