Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fastest Download Mirrors

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

Hey guys, I've struggled with this for a while now.  In particular the Mint download Mirrors, how do I know which one is fastest for my region?  I have googled some of them to find out where they are located, but some are not googleable, and still cannot find which one is fastest.  

Sometimes I use ones that have been suggested to me, and sometimes they don't even work.  So tried a few in addition over the years but still don't know the proper way to check for speed.  

Last night used "West Virginia University" as it may be one of the closest to my location.  I was also trying out a new Download Manager...uGet...and didn't really understand all the settings at the time.  My internet was also kinda slow last night 18Mbps, normally get 30-72Mbps.  This led to about a 25 minute download, which is over three times what it usually took for me to download Linux Mint Mate and KDE, but one at a time of course.

Is the only way to check the download speed by starting a download and checking it?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

Usually the cloests mirror will be the fastest however do try other mirrors now and then to see how they act.

As long as its not being downloaded from china it should be fine.

I have used American mirrors, ones from europe and the UK.

Heck i even used a mirror from Russia once

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

I just tested downloading from West Virginia University and the download speed was 9 to 11.2 mbs. Which would of downloaded that 1.8 GB in 3 to 4 minutes.

Tested a few others and that was the quickest.Two sites wouldn't even start to download. All in the USA...

Looks like Mint download sites are like a box of chocolates....you just don't know what you're gonna get. :)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:40 PM

The download speed of any server will always be dependant upon the demand it is serving at the particular moment that you are using it.

So if you want a quick download, it's generally best to use one that is operating in its "off peak" time, when demand on it will be low.

So if you're downloading when your nearest local server is likely to be operating at peak demand, then it may actually be quicker if you use one in a different time zone.

Edited by Gary R, 11 March 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Thanks guys, just read another article on the issue, sorry don't have the link because I was on another computer.  I am going to use another download manager and try a couple of other mirrors.  Want to be able to download as fast as I used to with Firefox extension "Down Them All".  I've still never had download speeds as fast as buddy215, usually about 6-8 minutes.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

I use Transmission. Download Torrent I find it faster.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

6 to 8 minutes isn't bad at all imo.

I have a download mirror less than 21 miles away from where I live and I would be happy with 6 to 8 minute iso downloads.

University of Oklahoma

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

But my last one was roughly 25min.  And just trying to explore new ways to download.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

I've heard of Transmission Nick, but need to read up on it again.  Every time someone mentions Torrents here...O-boy...the controversy starts LOL.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

The download speed of any server will always be dependant upon the demand it is serving at the particular moment that you are using it.

So if you want a quick download, it's generally best to use one that is operating in its "off peak" time, when demand on it will be low.

This has been my experience also.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

Hey, punk.

I've heard of Transmission Nick, but need to read up on it again.  Every time someone mentions Torrents here...O-boy...the controversy starts LOL.

I've been using Transmission quite a bit recently. Very, very simple. Download your .torrent file (don't ask me about magnets; I don't understand 'em!).

Start Transmission.

Open the .torrent file.

It'll start automatically; just leave it running in the background. It's your choice whether to leave it 'seeding' after your download's finished, but I always reckon it doesn't hurt to do that for at least an hour or two.

Everybody else just thinks better of you if you do. Otherwise you get a reputation as a 'leech'; all take, and no give... This isn't server<->client stuff; strictly peer-to-peer. (*You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours...*) Kinda like how Skype used to operate before MyCrudSoft bought them out.  :rolleyes:

You can have several torrents on the go at once; since you're essentially downloading lots of little bits from lots of different directions, it doesn't hurt. Don't ask me how the hell Transmission manages to stitch everything back together in the correct order; that's in the realms of 'black magic', as far as I'm concerned..!

A 1.4 GB BluRay-quality movie in 11 mins? I was quite happy with that.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 March 2018 - 12:50 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

Start Transmission.

Open the .torrent file.

In most cases when you are about to download a magnet link you get the option to save the file or open with, I select open with saves a few steps. Yes Im lazy LOL.

PFJonCz.png

(don't ask me about magnets; I don't understand 'em!)

In simple terms a magnet is just a link telling the torrent client where to go.

Its kinda like wget.

Every time someone mentions Torrents here...O-boy...the controversy starts LOL

Torrents are fine when it comes to legit downloads however they can be used for illegal stuff as well.

Edited by NickAu, 12 March 2018 - 10:33 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

:thumbup2:

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh