Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my SSD failing?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

I have a Seagate Expansion 4TB SSD, used externally, which I have nearly filled with around 3 TB. of videos.

Recently during transferring videos to it I heard it starting to give a clicking sound. Now when just plugging it into my laptop there is the clicking and I feel it vibrating to the clicks.

This doesn't seem good - any comments on this appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

I highly doubt you have a SSD drive, especially one that is 4TB. SSD drives do not click. A HDD drive that clicks is not a good sign and indicates a failing or failed drive.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Oh this is bad news as I do have a SSD. I'll contact Seagate about it  - it may be in warranty but that won't help in keeping 3 TB of videos (not films)  available to access.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

I suspect that John is correct...and THIS is what you have.  You might bother to investigate that section on recovery.

Louis

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

I don't think Seagate makes a 4gb ssd. If they did, it would cost you over $1000.00

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

hamluis - yes that is so. I have found its box and it does not say it is an SSD nor on that website. 

As they do not need a adaptor power supply somehow I assumed it was an SSD - my mistake as I had also previously bought their 3TB regular drive which needs a power source.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

:thumbup2:

Louis

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

Sorry for the repeat.

Checking my warranty Seagate does not recognise my Ser. # nor Part # !  Hey Ho.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Now onto the problem with you spinner HD!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

Warranty not recognised as PN had an S which looked like an 8 - so it expired 18 Dec.2018!! So they made it to correct specifications!

Going to their Sea Tools, no clicking when running but disc vibration there. Most tests had 100%.

This drive has always been kept cool (stood upright) and hardly any deletes  so little used in that way.

Opened the video files and as yet no clicking.

Thanks for all your helpful responses - much appreciated.

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

I have just did one hour of recording a video on my Seagate Drive.

Initially I felt some movement inside but no clicking. Near the end of the recording as well as no clicking I felt no inside movement at all. So that is very good as the recording was successful. So what happened before with much clicking and much felt movement inside?

I suppose things can right themselves somehow. Or do these glitches wait until one resorts to 'bleeping computers' then after efforts of responders have a laugh and then go back to normal?

#12 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

I have seen some hard drives do that from weak power supplies that can not provide enough amps to properly spin the drive when booting up from a cold start

#13 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

That's a point to keep in mind - thanks.

#14 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Warranty not recognised as PN had an S which looked like an 8 - so it expired 18 Dec.2018!! So they made it to correct specifications!

Going to their Sea Tools, no clicking when running but disc vibration there. Most tests had 100%.

This drive has always been kept cool (stood upright) and hardly any deletes  so little used in that way.

Opened the video files and as yet no clicking.

Thanks for all your helpful responses - much appreciated.

ummm, it's not dec 18 2018 yet.  it's still under warranty.  just pay attention to the sounds and if you hear clicking again do a warranty claim on it and get it replaced.   intermittant head clicking can happen and it will get worse.  i would back up data now while you can still access it.

if it was me, i would be sending it back in under warranty anyways instead of risking it.  and include a note in the package explaining the issue so they can test for it.

Edited by mightywiz, 16 March 2018 - 10:56 AM.

#15 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

mightywiz - thanks for your post - 18 Dec 2018 hasn't already gone? How did I think that?  - I have in my mind I read the word "expired" - have to check that.

It's good that I have some months left to see if the clicking reoccurs, it's quite silent at the moment.  As to sending it back now, Seagate says 'don't send a good HDD, you won't get it back"!  I guess they got fed up checking good ones.

As to backing up what I have on it how long will it take to transfer 3 TB of video? It depends on my equipment of course but it would take more than a day perchance. This cultural archive is for my grandchildren but will they be interested - I think not really and will it be readable? 

Edited by zzzz, 16 March 2018 - 11:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users