Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with cursor help plz fix

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MitchBaker

MitchBaker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

So basically I downloaded Gmod and installed it and it hanged nothing would respond so I force shut it down, after that when I turned it on the gmod launcher (but I dont know it was the gmod launcher,because it looked like the gmod console, because it looked like a console or the cmd running)  would pop up for a milisecond, then black screen with cursor nothing would respond except ctrl+f. Oh and my laptop is a lenovo ideapad 320, I dont have the specific specs sry (sry for the grammar...)_

Edited by MitchBaker, 11 March 2018 - 10:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

Press the Shift key + Restart. This will give you the option to enter Safe Mode. In Safe Mode see if you can uninstall Gmode.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

#3 MitchBaker

MitchBaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

Press the Shift key + Restart. This will give you the option to enter Safe Mode. In Safe Mode see if you can uninstall Gmode.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

That's the problem I cant do anything I cant even have anything to pop-up All I can do is ctrl+f but I dont know if that will help

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool on another computer and create a DVD or USB. Boot the install media. Follow the below video. It references replacing the backed up registry hives in the Regback folder to the config folder. The registry hives in the Regback folder must be at a date before the problem and not be zero bytes. This may get you back to a bootable state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=2f-GorXWkoc

The following steps can also be used to get a command prompt.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

This will also give you the System Restore Option which may work for you. You can attempt this before trying the steps in the video. 

#5 IttechGyan

IttechGyan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

Unplug any usb devices while computer is on with blank cursor. Then hard power off. Leave off for a minute or so. Leave usb cables unplugged, and power computer back on. Hope it help.. 

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

Hi, JohnC post #4, this is the best way for you to proceed, unfortunately the Video is not really the best way to do this, main problem is (and we see this when he opens regback, 0 bytes)  he used the shutdown method, you would have seen this forced a startup repair, this includes a regback attempt, it fails, and you are left with 0 bytes in regback. Does not always happen this way so we have it as a last (or least preferred method), also there is a better way to locate the needed drive letter.

I have written a full list of instructions for this, hopefully you can follow them and have success, copied from my notes:-

If you have made a recovery disk (always do this as prompted during install and after) change boot order in BIOS to boot from it. If not create a OS media install disk, (you will need to do this on another computer, either dvd or usb) get from:-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

Booting from this you select “Repair your computer” option (will also have to change boot order in BIOS). This opens the RE ( a recovery disk will open to the RE) here you select Troubleshoot, then Advanced, from the options select Command prompt.

There is another way to access the RE this involves booting, and then when windows attempts to load pressing and holding down the shutdown button to force a shutdown. Doing this, two or more times alerts windows to a problem, and it will boot to the RE. Unfortunately here begins a game of Russian roulette, if the system runs a startup repair (diagnosing system) it is likely to leave the regback  with 0 bytes, if it attempts to repair registry (happens for some not others) so this is a last resort.

Once into the RE selecting command prompt, we need to establish what drive the RE has assigned the OS, (in the RE the OS is often given another drive letter, we need to know this for our cmd’s to work) you will see a X:\sources prompt, default is X:\Windows\System32> at this we type :-

Bcdedit | find “osdevice”  (type exactly as you see here, spaces and syntax important, the | is called a pipe and can be found above the \ key)

This cmd will return:-  osdevice…..partition X (where X is a drive letter, we use this letter in the following cmd’s, often in windows ten this is the D drive, you use what the cmd returns, our example use’s D)

At the X:\Windows\System32> prompt type:-

D: (press enter) the prompt now looks like:-

D:\>

At this type:-

cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback (press enter), the prompt changes to this directory.

Next type:- Dir (press enter)

The contents of the regback folder will appear. Make sure there is data in the folder (not 0 bytes) and check the creation date, if it was before your problem, proceed, if not exit out, it won't work.

If you proceed then next type:-

copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)

Type:- ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied. Exit out and restart computer.

NOTE:- before anyone mentions doing a backup.. we are restoring a backup, I see no reason for doing a backup of a backup, never had a problem with this on thousands of machines.

This is a copy of the cmd prompt with cmd's as an example for you:-
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.15]

X:\windows\system32>D:

D:\> cd D:\windows\system32\config\regback

D:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack>Dir

Volume in drive D has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 5B06-A0F0
Directory of D:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack

28/01/2018 21:35 <DIR> .
28/01/2018 21:35 <DIR> ..
28/01/2018 21:35 704,512 DEFAULT
28/01/2018 21:35 90,112 SAM
28/01/2018 21:35 32,768 SECURITY
28/01/2018 21:35 88,342,528 SOFTWARE
28/01/2018 21:35 19,267,584 SYSTEM
5 File(s) 108,437,504 bytes
2 Dir(s) 412,430,352,384 bytes free

D:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack>copy *.* D:\windows\system32\config

NOTE:- It is important that you use the exact syntax seen here, spaces are important.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for pointing out the downside of the video jenae. I am bookmarking your post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users