Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pablo1915

pablo1915

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop, w/ 20gb HD, 256 ram, & windows 98. My hard drive started making this clunking noise when it was loading up. Then I got a blue screen that said "Unable to write to hard drive. press any key to continue". Pressing any key did nothing. Now when I turn it on, I get the blue "Dell" screen, then a black screen with some tech info on it, then another black screen that says, "operating system not found". That is as far as it will go !!! What happened ??? Have I lost all the info on this HD ????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

Most likely the hard drive is dead. But, don't mess with it until you're sure.

I'd suggest getting a USB drive enclosure for it and trying to access it from the USB port of another computer.

If it acts like it wants to start up, you may want to try the freezer trick. Put it in the freezer overnight, then quickly hook it up and see if you can get the data off it QUICKLY!

CAUTION!!! Make sure to put it in a plastic, ziplock bag. Put in some moisture dessicant packages also. Then, suck all the air out of the bag (I use a straw for this). Be careful when taking it out and hooking it up - any excess moisture can hose everything!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 pablo1915

pablo1915
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

Thank you for the fast reply. I guess I'll get on the internet & shop for a new hard drive !!!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

If you want to keep the laptop order or find another hard drive and make sure you find whatever cd came with the computer - either the restore disk or the W98 disk to install the operating system on the new hard drive.

If you take it to a local shop they will probably install W98 for you as part of the deal if you buy the hard drive from them.

Try usasma's suggestion to put the hard drive (not the whole laptop) in the freezer, but once you hear scraping or clunking noises it probably means the stylus contacted the disk and it's probably gone, but it is worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users