Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Or Mac

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

HEY GUYS: I am pondering on acquiring MacBook Pro in the future or should I say migrating to a MAC world thats very foreign to me. I just wonder does many BCFORUM members use MAC, and what has your experience been like since you changed to MAC or has always used MAC? Do you like it or dislike it, and why or why not? OR, if you are like me considering changing to MAC, WHY? Your feed backs sure will help me out . Thank You. MGBY.

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2017 - 11:01 AM.
Moved from System Building to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:21 PM

I haven't touched a Mac since 1988, and don't have the desire to try it again.

That being said, I'd assume that it's sorta like switching to Linux. It'll be hard at first, but once you get used to it it should be easy to use.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

The problem with a Mac is that relatively few people use them which means it's harder to get non-factory support, there are fewer available programs, they cost considerably more, and although they are superior for some types of usage they don't have some abilities that pcs do.

The determining factor is what are you going to use it for?

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

Check out these topics:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/61307/thinking-of-getting-a-mac;-never-used-one/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/26305/mac-vs-pc/

In the first topic (post #9) I reported on the experiences several family members have had with their Macs.

For the record I got my first PC in 1987 and the Macs of that day were unusable, agonizingly slow, ridiculously expensive. But things have changed. Unless you're a gamer the Mac is well worth your consideration.

#5 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, macs can be nice if you're just using it for graphics or writing, but compare that to the pc/pc laptops where you can play games better, get better support, etc. AND they cost MUCH less. I say stick with pc if thats what your used to.

Its all a matter of personal opinion though...they're both good.

#6 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

Nothing beats Mac when it comes to graphics, so if that's what you'lll be doing, I'd highly recommend a Mac. Otherwise, I ahve to agree with everyone else-stay with PC's.

#7 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Primarily, I am considering MAC for graphic purpose and the fact that MAC is less prone to attacks is also a crucial influencing factor as well. I love PC and have become an addict to it. I know both are very good technology, but MAC has its advantage in graphic application. And, of course the drawbacks being it is not easy to use and its support are scarce are very troubling. Learning to use it is not much of an obstacle, but the lack of support is a big issue with me. Thanks much for everybody's feedbacks, they are invaluable indeed. I sure will checkout those facilitated sites by you guy, and I am sure they will add insight to my understanding of MAC as to whether I really want to go with MAC. Most appreciated as always for the support . YOYO. :thumbsup:

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

I'm on a Photoshop course, and we've been using Macs. I didn't find them that hard to get into, and in many ways OS X is superior to Win XP. I must admit that the first couple of hours in front of a Mac had me feeling lost, but it is actually a really good GUI, and I quickly started to find my way around after that.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:23 AM

Mr Alpha: You said in many way OS X is superior than Window XP, can you please expound on this? Thanks. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:54 AM

It has the dashboard, a thingy full of small programs (like weather, rss and such) which is nice. Microsoft is imitating them in this regard with the sidebar in Windows Vista. It has a lovely indexed search. The columns view is great for navigating the folder structure. I love Hot Corners, where you can assign functions to the corners of the screen which will activate when moving the mouse to the corner. And OS X looks great.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

Primarily, I am considering MAC for graphic purpose and the fact that MAC is less prone to attacks is also a crucial influencing factor as well.

I've also been thinking of getting a Mac, mainly because as I understand it they have a far more stabe OS than anything put out by Windows and also because they're far less prone to Malware attacks.

Right now I have an embarrassing number of anti-Malware programs in my PC and it seems I spend much of my time keeping them updated and running scans.

Does anyone know if it's true that Mac users don't have to endure this sort of hassle and constant worry about being taken out by a virus?

Cheers,

scratcher.

Edited by scratcher, 23 October 2006 - 04:21 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#12 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

PC > Mac.........

#13 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

The Macbook Pro is a very superior laptop. I would definately suggest getting it.

#14 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

DEtox: Do you use Macbook Pro/ In what way it is a superior laptop?? Can you share your experience to enable all of us to learn from you? Thanks. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#15 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

Interesting take on the real-world magnitude of Mac security threats in this article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users