Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Daylight Savings Time 3/11/2018...Would you Vote to Keep or Ditch it?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Oh joy...thinking about tomorrow morning, where once again I'll experience the dread of Spring forward, as I'll feel groggy grumpy and tired!  :woot:

Would I like Congress to act and to do away with DST?  My Vote is YES!!

What about you? Does DST affect you each year?

If you care to read, I stumbled upon one blogger who is determined to stop the madness!

Scott C. Yates, a writer and inventor, is the founder of a service to buy blog posts. He was challenged to stop complaining about the clock-changing twice a year by his wife, and do something about it, so he started what is now a national effort to get the entire country to stop the clock-changing. He lives in Denver with his wife, son, mutt, and his dictionary collection.

Site: http://www.sco.tt/time/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

Actually I'd like to see DST all year. I'd rather have the extra hour in the evening to fish or hike and have it dark an extra hour in the morning to sleep.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

I have for many years thought the world should go on a standard time, Possibly use Greenwich Mean.  It may be a little confusing at first but like anything new we would all get use to it.  And yes I do hate savings time.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:00 PM

Our relatives in Arizona (Hawaii also) don't observe it. AZ abolished it 50 years ago.

Here's an interesting snip that can add confusion:

The Navajo Reservation observes daylight-saving time, the Hopi Reservation does not. The Navajo Reservation surrounds the Hopi Reservation, so if on Monday you drive from Flagstaff to Gallup through Tuba City and Ganado, you'll change time on four occasions.

Ain't that grand? :)
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#5 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Yep totally agree with softeyes, We have these people these days who have to mess with everything.If it's midday or midnight that's what it is nothing else.

Next thing we will have people wanting to call Monday Sunday!

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: 

ABOLISH DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

No to DST. Its a pain in the butt.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

I believe David Lloyd George - UK Prime Minister during WW1 - gets the blame for this social invention. It would have been simpler had he merely dictated that come some Sunday morning in March we would all go to work/school/church/whatever an hour earlier and finish an hour earlier.

This would mean I would only need to change my alarm clock. Not the almost endless list of time pieces around the house which do not automatically adjust themselves. I find that the most annoying aspect of the changing of the clocks.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:09 AM

I remember in WW2 having to go to bed in daylight because of "British double summertime" This was two hours difference.

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

I believe David Lloyd George - UK Prime Minister during WW1 - gets the blame for this social invention. It would have been simpler had he merely dictated that come some Sunday morning in March we would all go to work/school/church/whatever an hour earlier and finish an hour earlier.

This would mean I would only need to change my alarm clock. Not the almost endless list of time pieces around the house which do not automatically adjust themselves. I find that the most annoying aspect of the changing of the clocks.

Chris Cosgrove

DST used to begin in May. It was just a few years ago they set it back to March.

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

although interesting a stupid unnecessary and not needed change imo.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

I HATE changing clocks.  It messes me all up.  I get grouchy, crabby, etc. and I have to work to keep from figuratively biting folks' heads off.  I prefer to have more daylight in the morning so I can work in the garden before I have to go to work in the summer, and so it's LIGHT out when I have to get up in the morning in the spring and fall.  Winter, well the days are so short that regardless, I get up and go to bed in the dark.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

The one thing that DST does not do is change the amount of daylight you get !  It only changes when you get it in relation to your clocks.

Where I live, in Central Scotland, in mid-winter we get about 7 1/2 hours between sunrise and sunset, at mid-summer it is about 17 1/2 hours. Doesn't matter what the clock says, that's what we get. So, yes, put me down as an anti.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 12 March 2018 - 06:43 PM.

#14 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

Now that I'm ready to put my feet up and watch that hilarious show on TV...it's 9:32 PM (and I just woke up!)  :clown:   

Here are a few DST funnies just because:

Thinking about the young pals in BC....

dst.jpg

Saved:

dst1.jpg

Me:

dst4.jpg

Last:

Don't forget to change your smoke alarm batteries!

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:57 AM

My Dad owned a dry cleaning store, he did the local police uniforms for free.  We would get all kinds of input on many things but the most glaring was how the cops hated DS they all said about the same thing, when the time switched to early darkness the accident rate wenjt up about 20% over night, they said you take tired people and suddenly put them in the dark was jusr plain wrong!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users