Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator and permission problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dali52

dali52

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:49 PM

Hello,

In my attempt to disable Edge and Bing I looked into getting special permissions of the MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder. 

I was following the instructions found online

https://appuals.com/how-to-disable-microsoft-edge-browser/ 

when I saw that I had two administrator accounts but with different access, and one users account.

I don't know if there should be two accounts or not and I would like to eliminate one.

I would like to have one administrator account with all  access

I also looked in - select a user group (as the instructions said to do that) and after clicking advanced and find,  I saw a very long list of names which I am not sure what they are.

I am attaching the screenshots in hopes to find someone who can clarify this.  

My goal is still to make Edge and bing stop opening by themselves (I truly hate them).  I already chose my default browser, but it seems to make no difference at all.

Thank you

dalila

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

You can totally delete Edge. What version are you using? Pro, Enterprise, or Home? Although, it might be dangerous. You would want to create a restore point before doing it, just in case. I, personally, have not done it.

Edited by Mason21, 10 March 2018 - 11:19 PM.

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:25 AM

Hi, yes install_wim_tweak is a very useful util, you do need to know how to use it though. My copy is from an original and we have modified it, for our needs (we knew the developer). Used to be you had to mount it before use, this can be overcome by placing the executable in system32. (the default prompt path). You should be aware that once done it's goodbye to edge the only way to get it back is to reinstall. It would also be necessary to avoid update problems by removing adobe flash integrated into edge, this can be done with wim tweak as well.

I do not recommend doing this.

Better if you rename the edge system app this prevents it from opening, OR grant admin full control you can then delete any app you want, and by running the app manifest reregister cmd's(either all or individually), you can easily restore them. You should also be aware that appdata\local includes packages, edge is also there.

A feature update will restore the app, not so if you used wim tweak to be rid of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users