Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen PC crash

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 molsh

molsh

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

Hello,

I am not sure what the problem is but today my PC developed an issue with the screen going black. 1st time occoured while playing a game. Since then, has happened multiple times when watching youtube videos. I assumed it was my video card, so I updated the drivers. It still happens after that. Screen flickers and goes black. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!!

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

We need more info. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

#3 molsh

molsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

Sorry about that. Figured I was being vauge but I didn't notice the instructions. Below is the link and the zip per instructions you sent me. Thanks for the prompt reply.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5YkbpsAahc3cNEbM0i6rzsB

Attached Files

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

Try updating your video drivers from the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard's website.

#5 molsh

molsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

No luck. It says that all the drivers are up to date. 

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Are you getting that info from the device manager or the website?

#7 molsh

molsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

I'm getting info from both the intel website and device manager. 

Attached File  Screenshot 2018-03-11 19.58.52.png   226.06KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

#8 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

Open an admin command prompt, type in chkdsk, press enter

When it has finished, does it show?: Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

The signs are still pointing to your video drivers. If RokTV's suggestion doesn't work out, we'll try to install it a different, more efficient way. Please download DDR Display Driver Remover here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,19.html. Run it to uninstall any current drivers.

Next download the driver again but don't install it. Go to Control Panel, click on Device Manager, Then on your display adapter, right click and choose Update Driver. Then click on Browse my computer for driver software. Now click Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer. You should find the driver you downloaded. Click on it and then Next. This should properly install the driver.

Edited by HyperHenry, 11 March 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

Something else just caught my eye. You have amdkmdap installed. This is for AMD processors, you have an Intel Processor. This may be the problem.

EDIT: Doing more Googling I am finding amdkmdap on other intel machines so it must belong there.

Edited by HyperHenry, 11 March 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#11 molsh

molsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

You know, I was thinking video card too. However, I did just remember that a while back, I was having an issue that my screen was black all of a sudden. It wouldn't boot windows but booted bios if I am not mistaken. My buddy that built this PC for me, spent days trying to figure out the issue. It ended up being, what he thought was the power supply.   He swapped the power supply and then it was all good.  The other time this happened, he swapped the board because he somehow determined that the board and card were not compatable after some update. The only thing is that I don't remember which order these things happened in. Unfortunately, he recently passed so I can't ask him. 

#12 molsh

molsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

Not sure if its important, but I just ran the benchmarking software and it didn't crash. 

Also, regarding uninstalling and then reinstalling video card drivers:

After this problem started, I used "radeon-software-adrenalin-18.3.1-minimalsetup-180305_web.exe". It is sort of like a wizard to upgrade drivers. Do I have to use that wizard or do I have do sequentially install each version of the drivers?

Attached Files

#13 molsh

molsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

I'm going to try your suggestion on Tuesday. I am working tomorrow and will be to beat not to screw something up after work.

#14 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Never use 3rd party software to update drivers. Trying to get the video drivers to properly is the most logical first step.

#15 molsh

molsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

Hey, So I just did the uninstall and reinstall as per your instructions. Hopefully it does the trick. You're right that it is the video card. Earlier today was watching a video and the screen froze a second and then went black but the sound kept playing. Hopefully, your solution was the answer to my problem. Thank you. I will keep you posted. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users