Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wipe and Reformat Maxtor External HDD with possible Malware/Trojans/Virus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CowgurlGeek

CowgurlGeek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

Thank you for creating and maintaining this site. I continue to research Malicious Coding in the hopes that, I don't have to rely on a stranger, to repair my machine. I stumbled on Bleeping Computer, when i was researching HDD Partitions, and reformatting my internal HDD. I hope I have correctly approached group protocols. I just signed up. I am Android Central and XDA Developers Member, as well. I hope that isn't inappropriate, but, this is a bit of an OCD for me. Keeps my brain happy.
So, what is this MBAM of which you speak? I have a Maxtor One Touch 4, with some things I would have liked to retrieve, but, can live without. I just don't want to infect my new Dell with Win 10, if i don't make sure it's clean. I am scanning with Malwarebytes at this moment, it has found Rogue.installer and 12 PUP files it is not happy with. I had to use Malwarebytes on the Dell, already, because, I loaded a Bitcoin app through the Microsoft store (at least it looked like the store),I did a full factory reset, then scanned it with Malwarebytes, and afterwards, ran Windows Malicious Malware Removal Tool. I am familiar with Android's system a little more than Windows, because, I was taught to be intimidated with the Systems in Windows. Android fixed that fear. So, should I download this MBAM program, next?

Up to 2 Rogue.Installers a Rogue.ErrorSmart, and 15 PUP files...still scanning...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:43 PM

MBAM = MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

I run both MABM and Superantuspyware they are both good tools for you box, another good item is CCleaner (we recommend not using the registry cleaner)  You will be amazed at the junk it gets rid of.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

I install Bleach Bit to clean up temp files, because I can't trust CCleaner's reg cleaner. Bleach Bit is more aimed at cleaning useless files and does not attempt to do anything with the registry

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

CCleaner will only do the registry if you make it go there,  Hmm bleach bit Hilleries favorit tool :tophat:

Edited by OldPhil, 11 March 2018 - 05:22 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 CowgurlGeek

CowgurlGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

Thank you, Gentleman, 

After quarantine and deleting malware, I scanned, again with Malwarebytes, and it came up clean. Reformatted External Drive, copied Malwarebytes to the Ext HDD. I will use your method to clean my PC before I download a backup System Image. Thank you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

The basic error that I see in the discussion of this topic...is the premise that Malwarebytes (or any other program) guarantees a system that has properly been cleansed of known malware.

If that premise were true...all of us would rely on Malwarebytes to free systems of malware...and that certainly is not the case.

Topic moved from External Hardware to Gen Security, where such topics are probably handled with greater knowledge concerning the intents of the OP.

Louis

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

CCleaner will only do the registry if you make it go there,  Hmm bleach bit Hilleries favorit tool :tophat:

Many times I install Bleach Bit on someone else's pc. That's the reason I do not trust or want CCleaner where somebody might attempt to use the reg cleaner. Bleach Bit is much safer for those that are less savvy but still want to clean up temp files for themselves

Edit: and yes! It does work for Hillary too!

Edited by Joe C, 12 March 2018 - 09:42 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

There are no guarantees or shortcuts when it comes to malware removal - When should I reformat?

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users