Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mind_001

Mind_001

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

I need a new printer, as my old (2016) Canon is going the way of the do-do. My computer (or anyone connected to it wifi/ethernet) can't talk to it. It sits there like a dog waiting for the food on the table to fall, but it never comes.

So here's what I need:

-Must be compatible with Linux, particularly Mint 18.2

-Monochrome/color does not matter to me. 0.1% of the time do i ever need to print color

-Must have Ethernet. Wi-Fi is a bonus, not a need.

-Just need the printer, not an all-in-one.

Price I'm looking for is ~$100. My last 2 printers were refurbished, so those are fine as well.

I heard HP has fine support for Linux. What have you heard?

Edited by Mind_001, 10 March 2018 - 08:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

I picked up Brother Laser awhile back the disk had Linux drivers, I have gone through two cartridges still running perfect.  Was on sale for $99 at Staples, look into one fast and cheap to run it should fit your bill.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Mind_001

Mind_001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:15 PM

I picked up Brother Laser awhile back the disk had Linux drivers, I have gone through two cartridges still running perfect.  Was on sale for $99 at Staples, look into one fast and cheap to run it should fit your bill.

Toners, you mean ;)

I got a Brother for my Dad's birthday. And he had a time trying to get it working with his Mint 18.1 computer and never got the wi-fi working.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

I also have a Brother printer, just an inkjet. Brother does provide *nix drivers but I had to compile it to get the wireless going when I ran Suse (it was a while ago)

#5 Mind_001

Mind_001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:40 AM

Got this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m130nw-wireless-black-and-white-all-in-one-printer/5623291.p?skuId=5623291

Bought it online, but if it doesn't work, I can just bring it into BB's store and get a refund.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users