Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OTL scanning stopping midway through a scan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Forestlady

Forestlady

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

OTL is a tool I've used in the past, but lately when I try to run it, it stops midway through and give me an error that says 

"'cardisabled' is not a valid integer value."

The spelling on "cardisabled" is the way its spelled in the error message.

This may sound stupid, but I don't know what this error means, nor what to do about it. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

What operating system are you attempting to run OLT on?

I ask because OTL was originally designed by OldTimer as an earlier alternative to HijackThis which supported Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7. The public version of OTL has not been updated with a new version build since 10/23/12 and it was not designed to take into account any changes in operating systems after Windows 7. That means OTL may not be effective against newer malware infections and may not run properly with new operating systems it was not designed to support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Forestlady

Forestlady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for asking Bleepin'. I'm actually still running Windows 7.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

I have never seen that error message associated with OTL. Although Windows 7 was originally supported, that OS has received numerous critical and important updates since the last public version of OTL. I suspect some of those updates could be responsible for OTL not running properly.

As for "cardisabled"...the only reference I could find in relation to OTL was in this six year old topic which attributed it to Comodo Cleaning Essentials.

#5 Forestlady

Forestlady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

I am running Comodo, but only the internet security portion of it.  I will look for the file, delete it and see if that solves the problem, according to the thread from the link you sent.  I really appreciate your help.

I wonder if you can help me with a few other questions: 

1.  In my Processes, this is listed:  "C:\Windows\system32\net.exe" stop netprofm (this is how its listed, with the parentheses).  I know net.exe is a regular Windows process, but why does it say 'stop netprofm' after it?  Nothing I found online mentions the 'stop netprofm'.

2.  There is a wbem\unsecapp.exe listed, and I know that its also part of the normal Windows system, but mine says '-Embedding' after it.  When I tried to look it up, the only thing I found was information about embedding Windows (or Linux) systems, not a single process.

3.  My Windows taskmgr.exe has '/1' following it in the process list.  Is this normal?  I would take it to mean that there is more than one task manager running, but I don't think there should be, and I've never seen one that has a '/2' behind it.

4.  When I looked up WmiApSrv.exe, the info I found said it was part of the Windows Management Information system and had to do with monitoring performance and resources on the system.  However, when I try to view the resource monitor, whether I go through Windows Task Manager or through the Control Panel, the resource manager freezes and never comes up so I can see what's going on.

One last question:  it seems odd to see a Command Line image with a small 'c', especially when it precedes a program file in the Microsoft Security Client program.  Normal?

I wouldn't ask these questions except for the fact that I have an ex-husband who is very knowledgeable about computers and hacking.  If there's a way to get past any computer security program, he knows it or will find it.  Consequently, I've learned that the word "probably", when referring to a question about what's happening on my computer, isn't going to work.  I'm always looking for a concrete answer, i.e., a "yes, this is why" or a "no, that isn't it" kind of response.  I hope I don't come off sounding demanding or b*tchy; that's not my intent.  I've just had so many corner computer repair places tell me I'm worried over nothing, only to find out on my own that they were wrong.

If you can help me find out the answers to the questions above, I would be very grateful.  Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

netprofm is the Network List Service which is located at this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\netprofm
net stop netprofm is a Command Prompt command to stop Network List Service...see here

WmiApSrv.exe = WMI Performance Adapter...see here

taskmgr.exe /1, taskmgr.exe /2, taskmgr.exe /3 ...see taskmgr.exe called with an argument by Windows 7

How to start the Resource Monitor in Windows 7
How to Use the Resource Monitor in Windows 7

The best way to investigate processes is to gather as much information as you can about it. Windows Task Manager is useful but does not provide enough information.

These are tools I use to investigate running processes, programs that run at startup, services and gather additional information to identify them or resolve problems:

#7 Forestlady

Forestlady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the resources.  However, when viewing in both msconfig and in Services, the Network List Service is set to start up automatically is running.  I'm not sure I understand why a Command Prompt command to stop Network List Service would be running if the service itself shows that its running.

WmiApSrv - As I mentioned, I have tried each of the listed ways to start the Resource Manager, and no matter how I try to start it, I see a tab open across the top that actually says Resource Monitor, but then it freezes and doesn't load all the way.  The only thing that ever comes up is the tab itself - no further loading of the actual Resource Monitor window.  (I've tried to insert a screenshot, without any luck.)

The link you provided regarding taskmgr was interesting, but, unfortunately, I didn't understand half of it, and the only thing I took away from reading it was "educated guess", which to me is the same as saying "probably".

ProcessHacker is interesting and useful, and I will give it a shot for investigating what's running. 

The problem that I continue to come across though is not being able to find specific instances of what I'm experiencing (for instance, "Embedding" being listed after the unsecapp.exe).  Another one I came across this afternoon is "$(Arg0) listed after an instance of taskmgr.exe.  Google brings up nothing but algebraic references, even when I add that its a process in Windows 7.  The only things I get are continuous references to taskmgr.exe in general.

As I said, I will use ProcessHacker as much as I can to find out more (and thank you again for the link), but there are still a number of unanswered questions.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:36 AM

Process properties: unsecapp.exe -embedding
($Arg0) is a command line argument variable

In Task Manager > View > Select Columns...you have "Command Line" selected to show and that is why you are seeing these commands-line arguments. By default the Command Line column is not selected so Task Manager does not display the complete path of the running processes and the Command-line arguments used by those processes so most computer users never see that information. I never use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users