Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome Critical Error Red Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mistflower

mistflower

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

I'm new here.  I have MS and while I used to be very good at getting rid of a virus or malware, my cognitive functions are dimming with the disease.  About an hour ago I was on Chrome reading an article and my hand slipped and I clicked on an entertainment article.  Almost immediately a red rectangle popped up with the Google Chrome Critical Error screen with the phone number:  855-247-2962.  I have problems with my vision, so all of this is a real challenge.  I tried running Malwarebytes and that found nothing.  I know that this can be removed manually, but I honestly don't think I can do it.  Is there a software program that will?  I have a Windows 10 PC.  Thank you for any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Welcome to BC....

Sometimes just cleaning the caches using CCleaner gets rid of the criminal's ad.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 mistflower

mistflower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Thank you for the advice.  I did as you suggested. The AdwCleaner found 7 malicious things.  The .txt is below.  Am I in the clear?

# AdwCleaner 7.0.8.0 - Logfile created on Sat Mar 10 20:42:37 2018
# Updated on 2018/08/02 by Malwarebytes
# Running on Windows 10 Home (X64)
# Mode: clean
# Support: https://www.malwarebytes.com/support

***** [ Services ] *****

No malicious services deleted.

***** [ Folders ] *****

No malicious folders deleted.

***** [ Files ] *****

No malicious files deleted.

***** [ DLL ] *****

No malicious DLLs cleaned.

***** [ WMI ] *****

No malicious WMI cleaned.

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

No malicious shortcuts cleaned.

***** [ Tasks ] *****

Deleted: IHSelfDeleteTASK
Deleted: IHUninstallTrackingTASK
Deleted: ihuninstalltrackingtask

***** [ Registry ] *****

Deleted: [Key] - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{7825CFB6-490A-436B-9F26-4A7B5CFC01A9}
Deleted: [Value] - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext|DisableAddonLoadTimePerformanceNotifications

***** [ Firefox (and derivatives) ] *****

Plugin deleted: AOL Toolbar - AOL Inc.
SearchProvider deleted: nortonsafe.search.ask.com - Norton Safe Search

***** [ Chromium (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Chromium entries deleted.

::Tracing keys deleted
::Winsock settings cleared
::Additional Actions: 0

C:/AdwCleaner/AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [18634 B] - [2016/9/27 21:56:43]
C:/AdwCleaner/AdwCleaner[C2].txt - [6242 B] - [2017/3/8 21:23:24]
C:/AdwCleaner/AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [21544 B] - [2016/9/27 21:55:47]
C:/AdwCleaner/AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [10344 B] - [2017/3/8 21:10:26]
C:/AdwCleaner/AdwCleaner[S2].txt - [1686 B] - [2018/3/10 20:41:51]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C2].txt ##########

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

If the ad no longer appears then you are good to go.

Sometimes those ads are from a "legit" ad server. An ad blocker will block those. Other times they appear on compromised

websites/ webpages. It is also possible that some out of date or not having the latest update for programs such as Adobe Flash,

your browser and Java, etc. can be responsible for more than just a criminal's popup.

If you don't have an ad blocker installed I suggest using Adblock Plus.

Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox     Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store

Adblock Plus for Edge browser   Adblock Plus for IE

You can block the ad and tracking cookies from installing on your computer by blocking third party cookies.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

Once you have blocked the install of those cookies then run CCleaner to remove the existing ones.

Use the program below and it will note some problems in red that needs your attention.

• download Security Check by glax24 and save the file to the Desktop
  • Run the tool by accepting all the Security prompts
  • when complete the tool will produce a log file C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt and also copy the contents to the Clipboard
  • Simply Paste the log to your reply if you want me to look at and comment on scan results.

Edited by buddy215, 10 March 2018 - 04:22 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 mistflower

mistflower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

Thank you very much!  I really appreciate it.  I'll go through everything.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

I was waiting to see if the problem returned...seems it hasn't. So, you're welcome and happy surfin'....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users