Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to copy files from a bad sector riddled HD and ignore all errors ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fredeke

Fredeke

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

It's all in the title.

I need to backup all the video and audio files from a dying hard drive, but regular copy commands or file managers abort many files because of read errors.

Because of the nature of these files, it is better to copy a corrupted one than to abort the copy. I don't care if portions of a stream get padded with zeroes, for example, as long as I can copy it from beginning to end.

Is there a software (preferably freeware) or a command to do that ? 

I run all 3 major systems (Win, Mac and Ubuntu), so any platform would do.

Oh, and I have many, many files to backup, so it has to be automated, autonomous and not require constant confirmations.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

You could try cloning the "bad" drive to a replacement.  There are cloning utilities that ignore bad sectors (most of them do) but others that do not.  Even those that do sometimes allow you to override their default behavior of skipping bad sectors and they'll do a straight copy of the content there.

You'll have to research which clone utilities allow this.  I've used Miray HD Clone in the past as well as the EaseUS disc clone feature.  I think Macrium Reflect will clone, too, as will Mini Tool Partition Wizard (though I might be wrong on that last one).

See the results from:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=disc+clone+include+bad+sectors 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

If all else fails, try Roadkill's Unstoppable Copier (it's listed under data recovery)

http://www.roadkil.net/downloads.php

#4 Fredeke

Fredeke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

Thanks to both of you.

I will try Opera's solution first, because I'm more confident possible filesystem corruption won't be duplicated that way.

And if that doesn't work, I will try Britechguy's solution, which I hadn't thought of, but seems promising too.

I'll let you know what worked.

PS: I love the name Roadkill's Unstoppable Copier ;-)

Edited by Fredeke, 11 March 2018 - 01:39 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

That's a fine approach, but remember that by avoiding file system corruption you can also end up not getting files that you want if you stop traversing a chain where there's a broken link in it but then don't necessarily pick up again after that broken link.

Also, another thing you may end up wanting to look at after using whichever copying/cloning utility of your choosing is TestDisk/PhotoRec.  There is plenty of documentation, step-by-step, at the site where you download this utility pack.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Fredeke

Fredeke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:22 AM

@britechguy: Thanks for the warning. I suppose you are right. And thanks for the new suggestion too.

Anyway, I am currently backing everything up with Unstoppable Copier. Here's my experience so far :

Unstoppable Copier seems to be the ultimate backup tool I was looking for for a long time, not only for retrieving content from a corrupted drive, but for my regular backups as well. Mainly thanks to its ability to overwrite only older duplicates. Before, I was using Total Commander, which did a fine job at it, but lost time by prompting me in the middle of the night for some issue or other and so pausing until I could respond the next morning ;-)

As for retrieving corrupted files, U.C. provides several options for balancing speed over recovery, and a very clear and verbose real time log. In that respect, it is better than what I was hoping to find.

I've tried playing a copied corrupted video in VLC and observed this: the unplayable portion of the video is longer (2 minutes instead of 30 seconds), as if a big chunk around the fatal corruption had been carved out, but at least it doesn't make VLC crash anymore ! The fact that a bigger chunk is missing may be due to the facts that I set the recovery options to rather fast than good, and I am running U.C. in a virtual Windows machine (so no low-level access to the drive obviously) because I couldn't manage to run the Ubuntu version in Mint.

So, overall, thumbs up. I am quite happy with that solution. (Although now that I think of it, britechguy's solution might get me shorter unplayable parts.)

And if anyone could walk me through running Unstoppable Copier in Linux Mint 19, it would be even better.

If've found out how to run it under regular Ubuntu here :  https://tinyapps.org/blog/nix/201008240700_unstoppable_copier_ubuntu.html but that doesn't seem to work under Mint. Just nothing happens when I try opening the program.

Edited by Fredeke, 11 March 2018 - 04:28 AM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

And if anyone could walk me through running Unstoppable Copier in Linux Mint 19, it would be even better.

For advice on this aspect of your problem I suggest you start a topic in Linux/Unix section of BC.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users