Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome and Windows Explorer consuming 100% CPU

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rpm4178

rpm4178

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

HP Envy x260 m5 laptop

Windows 10 Home

Ver 1709

Build 16299.248

Chrome Version 65.0.3325.146 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Anti=virus Webroot Anywhere ver 9.0.19.43

Hello,

Occasionally my PC becomes unresponsive and unusable.  When I am able to start up Task Manager, it shows that Chrome is consuming about 70% of CPU resources, Windows Explorer 25% CPU, and Task Manager 5%.   These numbers vary but are in this ballpark.

In Task Manager, under Chrome, it lists 20 or more instances of Chrome when I have 3 or 4 tabs open.  Usually 3 of those instances are consuming 20%+ CPU resources.  If I use Task Manager to end those tasks, they immediately reappear.  One of those instances sometimes intermittently displays the message “GPU 0 - 3D” off to the right of the task listing.

I also recently noticed that after I managed to shut down Chrome, there were 3 instances of a process called software_reporter_tool.exe, one of which was consuming about 20% CPU.

Also, I noted that even when I am not experiencing this Chrome related issue, Windows Explorer routinely consumes 20-25% CPU so I suspect that I have two separate issues.

I have run scans with Webroot and Malwarebytes and come up empty.   SuperAntiSpyware turns up the usual Adware junk but nothing else.

Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?

Thanks, Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

No issues here.  Build 17618 ProWorkstation.

screenshot_3.png

#3 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

I would suggest posting in this section: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Just copy and paste what you posted above into the linked section.

And, Check this out as well https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/how-to-block-the-chrome-software-reporter-tool-software_reporter_tool-exe/

Edited by xrobwx, 10 March 2018 - 01:21 PM.

7581204627.png

#4 rpm4178

rpm4178
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

Thanks xrobwx, I just moved it, but will leave it on this forum for a bit since I'm not getting much feedback on the problem

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:27 PM

Hi, have a look at this (I use chrome and have deleted this util) did not come back with the latest update.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/how-to-block-the-chrome-software-reporter-tool-software_reporter_tool-exe/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users