Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my new laptop overheating? Fan/heat issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 secondhandsky

secondhandsky

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 5570 a little over a month ago. Right from the start I've had issues with the fan getting very loud, seemingly for no reason. I'm never doing anything very intensive, and I've even had this happen when I've had the laptop on but haven't been using it. What happens is that the fan will suddenly kick into action out of nowhere (it doesn’t seem to be a reaction to increased CPU usage) and ramp up to a volume high enough that you can even hear it from outside the room. It then calms down fairly quickly, but always starts up again before long.

I tried various things to troubleshoot the issue on my own – updated all drivers and the BIOS, ran diagnostics (no issues reported), checked for viruses, and even restored to factory image. I've also fiddled with the power settings (system cooling policy, maximum processor state). Finally I managed to talk to Dell and they arranged an engineer visit which took place yesterday. The fan was replaced, but the problem remains.

I have installed Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility to track the laptop's temperature. Prior to the fan replacement, the program was reporting frequent thermal throttling. Since the fan replacement this is happening less often, but it is still happening occasionally. The average temperature tends to be somewhere between 50C and 75C, but it regularly spikes into the high 80s and even 90s, seemingly at random. This usually coincides with the increased noise from the fan. Last night I even noticed that the part of the laptop to the right of the touchpad was very warm to the touch.

Yesterday I used my old HP laptop all day, and despite it being a few years old now, the temperature never went above 80. Again, this Dell is a new laptop. I don't feel that I'm doing anything that should cause such high temperatures. I have it on a flat surface at all times. 

It seems I’ll have to contact Dell again, but I thought it was worth getting some input from other people. I’m not an expert and don’t even know if these temperatures are really something to worry about, but something definitely seems off to me. I have no idea if this is actually a fault, or if could simply be how this particular model is made.

Edited by secondhandsky, 10 March 2018 - 09:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Keep insisting that Dell replace the computer or fix it while it is under warranty.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

Second buddy215's advice.   Temperature aside, "odd" behaviors from brand new equipment (absent some known cause like an infection) are simply not acceptable.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 secondhandsky

secondhandsky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:40 AM

Okay, thank you! That's what I was thinking, just wanted to get another opinion. At this point I'd really rather they replace the laptop altogether, but I'm not sure they'll be willing to... Do you know if it's possible for damage to be done to the laptop by these intermittent high temperatures? I'm wondering if it's worth insisting on a replacement for that reason. I didn't start checking the temperatures until about a week ago, but presumably they've been the same all along, and I'm worried that some damage could have been caused by over a month of the temperature spiking like this. It doesn't seem like it bodes well for the future of the laptop, anyway.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

In all likelihood those temperatures, while atypical, are not problematic in the "they'll cause damage" sense, but that depends on the processor, really.  I tell anyone who's worrying about processor temperatures, and brief spikes in particular, that they should go to cpu-world.com and look up the specs on their processor.

These temperatures are, however, problematic in that there is no reason for a new, clean, dust free unit to be spiking to temperatures like that at rest.  The fan kicking into high gear is a big warning sign that something's off, too.

Like most manufacturers, you are going to have to push Dell, and probably hard, but in a businesslike manner.  You tell them what you expect which is either prompt fixing of this issue (if that would be acceptable) or you will be returning the computer for refund or replacement.  There is no reason that this is acceptable behavior from brand new hardware.  Lemons exist in computers just like they do in cars, though there seem to be fewer of them in the computer population.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users