Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would this extend laptop battery life?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

As my laptop battery  cannot be removed I thought of this....

Recently I heard a scientist working on lithium ion  battery technology describe how a rechargeable battery functions.

Think of it as a sandwich with a covering layer of chemicals with other chemicals in the center. When recharging the center goes through chemical changes to recharge. During this process the chemicals jiggle about so that the outer layer and the middle layer get disturbed and gradually get mixed which decreases the recharging capability. So the greater number of recharges the great mixing of the the chemicals reducing the recharging life.

Although this wasn't mentioned I thought that if one had the battery charge always at 100% or near ( if at a mains supply mostly) then the constant repetitive charging would not always do that destructive 'jiggling' mixing of the chemicals so prolonging battery life.

This is so obvious if true that as it has not been widely known I must be wrong - can anyone put me right please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users