Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Store app missing with all other windows store apps

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 S55555

S55555

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

My store app and all other apps aren't showing in start menu although they open when i open any program such as photos. when using following instructions in powershell:

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TileDataModel\Migration\TileStore" /va /f
get-appxpackage -packageType bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}
$bundlefamilies = (get-appxpackage -packagetype Bundle).packagefamilyname
get-appxpackage -packagetype main |? {-not ($bundlefamilies -contains $_.packagefamilyname)} |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmanifest.xml")}

it shows-

get-appxpackage : The database disk image is malformed
The database disk image is malformed
At line:1 char:1
+ get-appxpackage -packageType bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -di ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-AppxPackage], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetAppxPackageCommand

I tried using DISM but it stops at 82% with error 1392 saying a file is corrupted and unreadable.
I also upgraded windows twice to newer builds but it ended in black screen with a cursor. I tried opening task manager with Alt+Ctrl+Del but i only saw black screen and couldnt see task manager, so i had to revert to previous build.
My DISM and CBS logs are attached

Please help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.zip   996.54KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  CBS.zip   193.53KB   1 downloads

Edited by S55555, 10 March 2018 - 07:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

Hi, S55555 and Welcome to BC! :welcome:

I had a similar issue awhile back, albeit less severe than yours, and will try to help you somewhat.

As such, I have to ask you a couple of essential questions;

Which version of Windows do you have?

Did you run PowerShell as administrator?

Did you run the said PowerShell commands line-by-line?

Did you change ExecutionPolicy to Unrestricted prior to running the PowerShell commands?

However, it is bed-time here as it is 10 PM, but I will surely read your post in the morning. :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 10 March 2018 - 04:09 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#3 S55555

S55555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

Hey! Thanks for replying.

Answers to your questions:

1. Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063. 936)

2. Yes, I ran Powershell as an administrator.

3. Yes, those are 4 commands and i ran them line by line (copied from a website). They ran successfully a couple of times when i had similar store missing issue, but they show this error now.

4. No, i didnt change ExecutionPolicy to Unrestricted before running those commands.

#4 S55555

S55555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

I just now tried running those commands after executing Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted command, but still shows error.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hi again, S55555!

Thanks for the answers - I wanted to ensure that you are running the four PowerShell commands properly, which you now do. :thumbup2:

I would recommend trying this:
  • Press the Windows key + R key to open Run, type wsreset.exe, right-click and Run as Administrator, and press Enter. Restart your computer and sign in with your Microsoft User account and check if you are able to find Windows Store.
  • Run cmd.exe as Administrator and type sfc.exe /scannow (Please note the space between sfc.exe and /scannow)
  • Run the following DISM commands as Administrator. Press Enter after each one:
    • Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    • Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    • Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Results from SFC and DISM?
  • Run the following PowerShell command as Administrator, results?
  • $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 11 March 2018 - 12:15 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 S55555

S55555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:15 AM

I tried WSreset as per instructions but Store didn't appeared.

Results of Cmd commands:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc.exe /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.15063.0

Image Version: 10.0.15063.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
Error: 1392

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[===========================81.7%===============           ]
Error: 1392

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Results of Powershell command:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add
-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

Get-AppxPackage : The database disk image is malformed
The database disk image is malformed
At line:1 char:14
+ $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation  ...
+              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-AppxPackage], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Path'. Object reference not set to an instance
of an object.
At line:1 char:144
+ ... st.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
+                                                                 ~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Add-AppxPackage], ParameterBindingArgumentTransformationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddA
   ppxPackageCommand

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

Hi again, S55555!

Thanks for the results. Some good ones, but mostly bad ones.

I would recommend trying these solutions, which include detailed steps:

Regards,

midimusicman79

#8 S55555

S55555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:49 AM

Hello!

I tried both the links.

1. Running the commands showed same error: Get-AppxPackage : The database disk image is malformed

The database disk image is malformed............................

2. The troubleshooter said that it resetted and cleared store cache. It opened Store but i couldnt find it on taskbar or start menu.

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

Hi again, S55555!

Thanks again for the results. One bad but also one good.

For the Store icon to show in the Taskbar and Start Menu, I would recommend trying this:

• Press the Windows key + R key to open Run, type shell:AppsFolder and press Enter
  • Locate the Microsoft Store icon, right-click it and select Attach to the Start Menu
  • Right-click it again and select Attach to the Taskbar

Alternatively, I would recommend trying this:

• Press the Windows key + S key to open Search, type PowerShell, right-click and Run as Administrator, type SetExecutionPolicy Unrestricted and press Enter
  • Type Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} and press Enter
  • Type SetExecutionPolicy Default and press Enter

Regards,

midimusicman79

#10 S55555

S55555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:58 AM

There's no MS Store icon in the AppsFolder.

Running those commands in powershell return same error Get-AppxPackage : The database disk image is malformed

The database disk image is malformed............................

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Hi again, S55555!

I believe you, however, you know you have to press the M button to find it, as it is called Microsoft Store, and not just Store.

I would recommend trying this, which is the last option as far as ordinary means go, preferably without resorting to drastic means.

Follow these instructions:

• Click the second download button from the top, download it, install it and start Tweaking Windows Repair (All in One)
  • Start your computer in Safe Mode by clicking the Reboot to Safe Mode button at the bottom
  • Whether or not you perform a Proper Power Reset as recommended by the developer is easier to do if you have a desktop computer than a laptop (you would have to remove the battery), but anyway, if you do not want to, then just skip it
  • However, it is strongly recommended to back up your Registry and/or set a System Restore point prior to running repairs, so that if anything goes awry, you can easily restore your computer to a point in time before the repairs
  • Open Registry Backup/Settings with the topmost right button with a Window, click the Settings tab, click the Open Advanced Settings button, uncheck Enable Fallback Backup Method (Enabled By Default) and uncheck Always use Fallback Backup Method Instead of Volume Shadow Copy
  • Close Advanced Settings and select the Backup Registry tab, click the Backup Now button, wait until it has finished, and click the X button to exit Registry Backup window
  • Click the Create System Restore button as well, uncheck the Automatically Do A Registry Backup button as you have already done this above, click the Open Repairs button, uncheck All Repairs, select the alternative 27.01 - Repair Windows 8/10 App Store and press the Start Repairs button, wait until it has finished, exit Windows Repair (AiO) and exit Safe Mode
  • Back in Normal Mode, check if the Microsoft Store icon shows and works

And other than that, like I said, there are only drastic means left, namely these:

• RESET Windows 10 using the Keep My Files option. This may remove some apps/programs, but will not affect your data.

• RESET Windows 10 using the Remove Everything option. This will remove everything - so backup your data first!

Let me know how it goes and what you decide to do - the choice is yours.

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

#12 S55555

S55555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

I searched thoroughly for the Microsoft Store file. I even used search box and searched by selecting 'show hidden files ' option. But its not there.

I tried the repair using Tweaking Windows Repair (All in One).  In safe mode it showed app cannot be opened with current admin account. But when i clicked on its icon it opened. I followed the steps. It demanded restart. I allowed it. But on restart there is no Store or other apps.

I guess i will have to do reset then, with keeping my files of course. 

Thank you very much for your help.

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

Hi again, S55555!

You are most welcome and good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users