Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Will Not Switch On Or Off. Stuck In Limbo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jane H

Jane H

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

i don't know if i have a virus or my pc has just given up, hence i am unsure as to where this post belongs.
i am using xp pro which has a cable connection via a router which is wirelessly connected to a laptop. The laptop is fine but the pc seems to be stuck. i pushed the button to turn it on, the 2 lights lit up near the switch and another light for the E drive and nothing else is happening, no noise or flashing lights. so i have power. this happened the other day and i ended up turning it off at the socket and while it was off i turned off the pc switch then turned the socket back on. It was then off so i turned it on as usual and all was well until today. Have tried same thing today but no response. Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Security wise i use Shredder, Zone alarm, spybot, spyware blaster,ewido and avg.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

Hello Jane H

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What were the results of your anti-virus and anti-malware scans?

Have you performed any online Virus scans? If not perform a scan at Trend Micro Housecall
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]

What you describe does not sound like a typical malware problem but you should eliminate that as a possible source.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Jane H

Jane H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

Hi thanks for replying.
i have windows xp pro and i did all the virus stuff yesterday and all was ok. i also did the trend micro one which again was fine.

#4 Jane H

Jane H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

Just posting the result of my problem in case anyone has had a similar one and wants to know what happened to me. I took the computer to the experts and was told that the bios had reset ! |They sorted it for me free of charge but did say that they didn't know why it might have happened. Off i went and used it normally. When i next went to boot up it would not work again so i went and treated myself to a new pc. The other one was really old so i thought why not. My brother in law thinks the bios problem may have been caused by a battery problem !

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for posting back what you found out from your pc tech. Nothing wrong with treating yourself with a new computer.

You still may want to read "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe" and "How to Prevent Spyware".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users