Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Hard Freezing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dalphelus

dalphelus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

For several months now, I've been having issues with my computer inexplicably hard freezing. It'll function normally for a week or two, then for no clearly discernible reason (Typically when performing low-intensity processes like web browsing - often when trying to click or type something), the system will simply freeze. Rather, first the program I am using will stop responding, then the mouse cursor will freeze and the entire system will lock up. The computer is a little over a year old now, and for the first year it functioned perfectly with no issues. This issue came completely out of the blue. I've tried just about everything under the sun to resolve this issue, but nobody seems to have a solution for me. Here's what I've tried:

• Checking my system temperatures. The CPU idles at 31 degrees and never exceeds 80 degrees even when running synthetic benchmarks. The GPU and motherboard are basically the same.
  • Running MemTest86 to test my system RAM. I've run around eight tests so far, four involving each stick being run independently in the same slot they've always resided in. The other four involved all sticks being involved concurrently. No errors.
  • Running Prime95's various torture tests. No errors on any of the three tests after an hour running.
  • Running FurMark. No anomalies or errors after an hour running.
  • Disabling XMP. Still crashes.
  • Checking my power plan settings. It is currently running in high performance mode with Link State Power Management and Hard Disk turn off disabled. My GPU has been set to always favor maximum performance.
  • Scanning for malware, then removing my AV software altogether. Avast, MBAM, and Defender all report the system as clean.
  • Reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch.
  • Updating my drivers. Everything as far as I can see has been fully updated.
  • Updating my motherboard's BIOS - It's running the latest version.
  • Testing my core voltages. I haven't broken out the multimeter to check the rails manually, but according to HWInfo, they all appear okay. Moreover, they experience no appreciable change in voltage when under load.

These freezes do not leave DMP files in the minidump folder, but will occasionally leave dumps in the LiveKernelReports folder - as it did today with the latest freeze. The dump files are quite large, but here's the information that WinDbg gives me:

Spoiler

Suffice it to say, all of the error logs seem to point to "pdc.sys" as having caused the freeze. However, I can't find any solid documentation on what this is exactly.

Here is my system report generated by Speccy

Full System Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-6800K @3.4GHz

COOLING:  Corsair H100i v2
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X99A SLI Plus
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR4 @2666MHz
SSD (OS MOUNTED): Samsung 960 EVO
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB HDD
PSU: Corsair RM750X

Other tidbits: I don't overclock my CPU or GPU. I never have. My XMP profile brings my RAM frequency to 2666MHz as advertised. This is confirmed in both my BIOS and through CPU-Z.

Attached Files

Edited by dalphelus, 10 March 2018 - 02:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Hi Delphelus. There were no DMP files. If you are running CCleaner or something similar they may be deleting them. However looking at the Event Viwer there are a lot of errors due to WLAN and DNS so I would go to the MSI Support Page https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-SLI-PLUS#down-driver&Win10%2064 and update the LAN driver. I'd also update everything while I was there.

#3 dalphelus

dalphelus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if the sysnative app was supposed to collect the DMP file, it didn't. This might be on account of it being saved to the LiveKernelReports folder or it being over 2GB in size. I've manually uploaded the file to Dropbox if it's needed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vp2shqy9f10ifc/PdcLockWatchdog-20180309-2037.dmp?dl=0

Also, as I mentioned I've already updated all of my system drivers. The first thing I do when I set up a new install is grab the latest hardware drivers from the motherboard support page.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

My internet is way too slow to download 2 GBs worth of DMP files. Someone with a faster connection might be able to help you further. Good luck on getting it fixed. :thumbup2:

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

I would try typing CMD in the Windows search box. (Command Prompt) Right click on the light blue (Command Prompt offering above) Run as administrator. Type:

sfc /scannow (press enter and wait for it to finish)

then type:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth   (press enter and wait for it to finish)

If it finds errors that cannot be repaired open Powershell (run as administrator) type:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest­.xml     (press enter and let it run)

the problems you have stated also could be caused by a failing power supply. 

#6 dalphelus

dalphelus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

Already tried those, I'm afraid. No integrity violations from either. What would be the best way to test the PSU? I already compared the voltages when idle vs under load and they remain well within the acceptable 5% deviations.

Edited by dalphelus, 11 March 2018 - 04:26 PM.

#7 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

The way I use, is to have another spare PSU, unfortunately. You can download speccy, and look at the rail voltages. They shouldn't be less than 11volts. If they are, your power supply is failing. Usually, the power supply you have is a very good option. 

#8 dalphelus

dalphelus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

I checked the voltage of the 12V rail using HWInfo, and even under load it barely moves from 12.2. I've been suspecting the PSU myself since everything else seems to check out, but as you mentioned this is a high-end PSU I'm using. I wonder if this could be an issue being caused by my power strip/socket.

Edited by dalphelus, 11 March 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#9 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

If it is at 12.2...that is certainly good. Did you make sure when updating your drivers, to check to see if you have the latest firmware driver from MSI? I would also set the XMP to disabled. XMP causes my PC to act weird. 

Edited by Mason21, 11 March 2018 - 05:33 PM.

#10 dalphelus

dalphelus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

Yes, everything there is up to date. Here are my voltages, by the way from the original post:

https://i.imgur.com/2awa63n.png

Edited by dalphelus, 11 March 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#11 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

Your DRAM voltages look high. Normally they run around 1.3 volts...

#12 dalphelus

dalphelus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

Are you referring to the DRAM VPP voltages? Aren't those supposed to have a stock voltage of 2.5?

#13 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

Your DRAM voltages look high. Normally they run around 1.3 volts...

1.2 to 1.5 is normal.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

Notice to all:

OP dalphelus has a topic at Sysnative too: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/24835-windows-10-freezing.html

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#15 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

I participated in that thread myself. I thought that the name looked familiar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users