Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ripple Distortion with new Samsung Monitor

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Lasagna_Smoothie

Lasagna_Smoothie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

yes a UPS with a built in power conditioner could do the job. 

usually what your referring to 60Hz hum in the power line.   and visually you will see this in a monitor as the bar move from the bottom of the screen to the top.

other things that can cause this effect are florescent lighting in the same room along with monitor refresh rates, try changing the refresh rate of the monitor in settings.

I tried plugging my monitor into my UPS and unfortunately there was no improvement in regards to the distortion.  However, reading the specs on my UPS is seems to have no power conditioning ability beyond basic voltage regulation - so I wouldn't expect to see an improvement.  However, I believe your idea about the refresh rate being the culprit is spot on.

I've done some refresh rate testing and have some interesting results:

60Hz - No ripple distortion apparent

100Hz - No ripple distortion apparent

120Hz - Ripple distortion visible

140Hz - Ripple distortion visible

With these results I think the idea of power line hum is a bit less likely.  Additionally, I never ran into this issue with my prior 21:9 monitor.  If this problem were being caused by dirty energy wouldn't I have observed the same effect with my old monitor?  Also, I've only ever observed this distortion when the monitor is displaying moving imagery.  If it were a power issue wouldn't the distortion be present during static imagery as well?  Anyway, any ideas on why this only seems to be occurring at higher refresh rates?  Thanks so much for your assistance, you've been a huge help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Lasagna_Smoothie

Lasagna_Smoothie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

The refresh rate can be used as just a test to help prove matters, e.g. locking to 60HZ could show if the effect is an optical effect caused by interaction with 60Hz lighting. The human eye can see a flutter at the difference frequency, up to about 20Hz. If using 60HZ refresh stops it happening, that's a possible cause. If that's the cause, of course, it would also not occur under daylight when there is no 60Hz artificial lighting.

Another diagnostic would be to use the system in a different location. If the problem doesn't show when used on a different mains supply, that could support the suspicion that it's something on your mains.

Thanks so much for your insight; I really appreciate it.  I've tested out the monitor with all surrounding artificial lighting turned off and unfortunately the distortion remains.  However, I took your advice and tried some refresh rate testing:

60Hz - No ripple distortion apparent

100Hz - No ripple distortion apparent

120Hz - Ripple distortion visible

140Hz - Ripple distortion visible

Any idea on why the distortion only appears to be present at higher refresh rates?  Also, the distortion only seems to appear when the monitor is displaying moving images.  I've never observed it at the desktop for instance.  Thanks again for your remarkable help!

#18 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

it's is possible you just got a bad power supply in the monitor itself, if the power supply capacitors are leaky (bad, or outside of tolerance ranges) that could also cause your ripple.

Edited by mightywiz, 21 March 2018 - 01:26 PM.

#19 Lasagna_Smoothie

Lasagna_Smoothie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

it's is possible you just got a bad power supply in the monitor itself, if the power supply capacitors are leaky (bad, or outside of tolerance ranges) that could also cause your ripple.

Thanks so much for your response.  For some reason, the issue seems to have resolved itself.  I moved it to a different power outlet and I've also been keeping it plugged in rather than unplugging it at night.  I have no idea if these steps are the reason it now seems to be problem free, but I'm certainly not complaining.  Regardless, thank you so much for your continued input.  You've been a great help.

#20 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

that tells me that you have a device on that circuit somewhere in your house causing the interference.   your 220 breaker box has an a & b side for 110 volts.   so if you have a refrigerator introducing noise on the ac line you will see on all outlets that are on the a side of the breaker box.   so you must be plugged into the b side outlet and that's why you have no interference now.

#21 Lasagna_Smoothie

Lasagna_Smoothie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

that tells me that you have a device on that circuit somewhere in your house causing the interference.   your 220 breaker box has an a & b side for 110 volts.   so if you have a refrigerator introducing noise on the ac line you will see on all outlets that are on the a side of the breaker box.   so you must be plugged into the b side outlet and that's why you have no interference now.

That's a real possibility.  Regardless, thanks so much for your lending your knowledge and insight!

#22 Lasagna_Smoothie

Lasagna_Smoothie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:49 AM

I'm not sure if anyone is still scanning this old thread, but unfortunately the ripple distortion has returned.  Additionally, I can now say with near certainty that it has nothing to do with my electrical supply.  I've tested the monitor on different outlets and the distortion is always present.  Additionally, I purchased a Tripplite Isobar with EMI/RFI filtering and even this has no effect on the distortion.  Finally, I never had this issue with my prior X34 monitor - so I think dirty power can safely be ruled out.  So, if anyone's still reading, any other ideas on what might be causing this problem?  Thanks to any who respond.

#23 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:05 AM

It's starting to look as if the monitor is probably simply faulty.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#24 Lasagna_Smoothie

Lasagna_Smoothie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:08 AM

It's starting to look as if the monitor is probably simply faulty.

I agree, that seems to be where things are leading.  However, I've just discovered there's apparently a firmware update, so I'll go ahead and give that a try.  Although I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about this particular problem, so I think it's a bit of a long shot.  Thanks for your input over the course of this thread.

#25 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:26 AM

A firmware update is worth a try - that is possibly one thing you'd be asked to try before being able to return the unit as faulty. If the update resolves the issue then you've had a win.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users