Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tab colors for multiple tabs wrong in updated Google Chrome 65

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:24 PM

The active tab shows as gray and the inactive tab shows as either DARK gray or black.  The colors should be the other way.  Can this be changed in some option or setting?  Should I just learn to accept the new color arrangement instead?  When I look up and see a black tab, I automatically think that is the active tab, and then close what I think is an close it, and then that one which I wanted to view next is gone.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

Hi @Cafejose!

In my experience using Chrome (yes version 65) the default tab colors are exactly how you describe: light gray active/darker gray lingering.

Good news, you are able to change the tab colors by selecting a favorite "theme" from the Chrome Web Store. There are quite a few to play with so have some fun! 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/themes

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

softeyes,

I may have been temporarily confused - but I am not sure.

My feeling was the 'strong' color and the 'weak' color became switched after the update to version 65.  But what I feel as 'strong' is the DARK gray tab and what I feel as weak is the LIGHT gray tab.  When I look up at the open tabs,  and when I want to close some of them  I close the weak ones, without necessarily reading the label on that tab.  I nearly always use Google Chrome in incognito mode and this makes for dark gray tabs;  in regular mode, the tab colors are based on a light metal-gray.

Regardless of any of my confusion and of accidentally closing tabs unintended to be closed, your advice and some further internet searching have given me more information to use, even if I decide not to apply it.

(There is a "Material Design" set of flags through  chrome:\\flags ).

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

For as long as I've been using Chrome the "lighter/brighter" tab has been the one with focus while the "darker/dimmer" ones have been the inactive ones.

I don't doubt that someone has created a theme where this would be flip-flopped.  I just want to note this isn't a new thing in any way, shape or form.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:39 PM

(EDITED for punctuation; the name of the flag needed the dash)

Maybe I found something which works within Google Chrome, the idea found through an internet search.

chrome://flags

Look for Custom-drawn Windows 10 Titlebar, and set this to Enable.

RESULT:

Incognito mode shows very dark gray upper bar; dark gray active tab, and inactive tabs are nearly but not as dark as the main upper bar dark gray.  The icons and the text and the icon, text, background contrast all good enough that text and icons are easy to see.  The contrast between active and inactive tab "colors" is strong enough that the active tab looks significantly bright compared to inactive tabs.    Address bar/field is just slightly lighter than the active tab, and the text in the field is white, making for good enough contrast for person to read what's in the field.

-----

Regular mode looks almost the way it did before enabling this flag.  

Making use of this flag,  Custom drawn Windows 10 Titlebar, seems to be the right way to make the browser details easier to see and faster for me, the user, to interpret.

I forgot exactly what my keywordings was when I did the web search.... I think the search lead me to a couple of extensions in the web store for google chrome, and part of the discussion described this flag specifically and how to find it.

Edited by cafejose, 10 March 2018 - 10:15 PM.

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:36 PM

@cafejose,

Yes about incognito mode, I do not switch to this mode so I did not think about the tab color differences, this is what I see, is it the same a you? If yes, the inactive tabs make me feel like I must have cataracts! Horrible.

chromeincognito.png

As far as your chrome://flags suggestion, personally I'm not comfortable with experiments so I didn't pursue your findings there.

chromeflags.png

If I may, did you find anything of interest in the Chrome Store themes? I haven't felt the need to make any theme changes, so it would be fun to know if you found something fun! 

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:21 PM

I did look at some themes in chrome web store.  A few seemed like maybe could have been okay but others were not comfortable viewing.  

What you see --- what I see if the flag is set back to Disabled again, in incognito --- not really sure now, but I wrote about it in a couple posts earlier.  I already Enabled the flag on two machines.  Relaunch will be needed, so I'll write this, check, and maybe report back later.

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

This site will not allow me to use the Image tool for neither of for JPG hyperlink or PNG hyperlink, to an http.... address where the image is.  

I am also not allowed to PASTE the hyperlink address directly into the posting!

I JUST want to show the image of my normal chrome incognito window.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

Am I even allowed to show a hyperlink using the hyperlink button in this editor?

The Incognito google chrome theme with flag Custom-drawn Windows 10 Titlebar, disabled, NORMAL appearance

#10 pleebing

pleebing

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:14 AM

If the wonderfully bloated collection of random themes at the Google Chrome Web Store does it for you, great.   I'm guessing most of these came from theme-generator sites.  When I look through them I see some pretty pictures, but when installed, they are generally not.... practical.  

Instead, make a whole theme manually.   Create a manifest.json text file containing color and image selections, then extensions -> load unpacked extension (dev mode on).   There's info how to do it in detail, this looks like a nice one, https://sites.google.com/site/gsugsa/google-apps/google-chrome/how-to-create-a-theme I just found it by googling.   It isn't exactly easy, but you can tune it to perfection.

The settings in manifest.json could be right in chrome settings, but are not.  Google has their reasons, follow the money.

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:51 AM

Thanks for the advice, pleebing.

I discussed one of the more useful changes to do was, back in post #5.  I ALSO found a very useful theme, which I use in Google Chrome on one machine but not the other machine.  The theme which I find helpful is puk-puk.  Note again, I nearly always use incognito mode for Google Chrome.

#12 spechter

spechter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:35 PM

Just go to the Themes section as mentioned by @softeyes:

And search for 'tabs' in Themes.

A range of themes JUST changing the Tabs colors will be shown. - No unnecessary 'pretty pictures'

If you can't find one in there you like, you have a problem...

#13 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:16 AM

The topic is now a bit old...

The active tab shows as gray and the inactive tab shows as either DARK gray or black.  The colors should be the other way.  Can this be changed in some option or setting?  Should I just learn to accept the new color arrangement instead?  When I look up and see a black tab, I automatically think that is the active tab, and then close what I think is an close it, and then that one which I wanted to view next is gone.  

I AM getting accustomed to incognito mode tab coloring of very-dark gray for inactive tabs and the gray color of the active open tab.  That's on one particular computer.

Just go to the Themes section as mentioned by @softeyes:

And search for 'tabs' in Themes.

A range of themes JUST changing the Tabs colors will be shown. - No unnecessary 'pretty pictures'

If you can't find one in there you like, you have a problem...

As I said previously,  on the other computer, I installed puk-puk theme which helps with the visual identification of the tabs well for me.  That is, the colors are very helpful in the incognito mode.  I now have forgotten how any flags are set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users