Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Desktop Reminder Program

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

Hi,

I don't want anything that is attached to a site where I have to be logged in. I just need something free, without viruses of course, where I can set a reminder at such & such a date & time, & a popup that can't be ignored will stay up on my screen (until I X out of it) & make a ding as well.

Anyone use such a thing?

And no, please don't tell me to use my phone, the task reminder app on there doesn't work most of the time & I have problems with my phone. I just want this for my desktop (Windows 7).

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

My mail on my server so I just send myself mail reminders log in from any of my machines. Even if you are the only user I think you can send to yourself.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Been using this for years: http://cloudstickynotes.com/

#4 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

Yeh, but this does not (unless I'm not seeing it) have a way to set a time & date so it pops up on the screen, does it?

Been using this for years: http://cloudstickynotes.com/

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

Well, the statement.  "Alarms (time based reminders)," suggests a reminder feature is part and parcel of Cloud Sticky Notes.

I really cannot understand your objection to either using the web based interface to something like Google Calendar (or anyone's) or using an e-mail client that has either an integrated calendar or a calendar add in.  I don't know of a single one of these that won't provide pop-up reminders that you have to dismiss.  It seems that Cloud Sticky Notes does, too.

This is a dirt common feature of any calendar software I've ever used, whether by web interface or client interface.  There are scads of options available that work with the Thunderbird e-mail client:  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Calendars_-_Thunderbird 

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

Allan,

Do you install it on your machine or use the Java based web launcher?   I started playing with the latter and it appears that the most recent security updates to the Java Runtime Environment are in conflict with how the application is signed.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

To contribute, another option to use in Windows 7: Desktop-Reminder: <-snip-> Desktop-Reminder is a FREEWARE task planner for Windows to manage your tasks and other to-dos’ in an easy way. It can start with Windows and list all tasks, which are urgent for the current day. For a task with time of day defined a corresponding alarm message will be shown, when the time comes. <-end snip->

I have installed this program and it worked nicely. The free version has basic features, I found it easy to set up a couple of new tasks and received a pop-up when the reminder came due. You wished for "sound" notification, (as in a ding or such) it appears that without the Pro version, you can enjoy "Yodelayheeho" :-) (Better than nothing!)

This might work for you.

Home: http://www.desktop-reminder.com/en/index.html

Download Page: http://www.desktop-reminder.com/en/download/index.html

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

Allan,

Do you install it on your machine or use the Java based web launcher?   I started playing with the latter and it appears that the most recent security updates to the Java Runtime Environment are in conflict with how the application is signed.

I install the app on my computers Brian.

#9 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:51 PM

My objection is that I'm not a webmail person & I have TONS of gmail accounts, not just one.

I've never used their calendar & don't want to start now.

I also have tons of tabs open & if I were to decide to use Google calendar which I think only allows to e-mail, I'd have to make sure that ONE user is open. 

Plus I have tons of alerts I get from FB & YT, so adding another alert (if Google Calendar does in fact have an alert) means that I risk either not seeing it b/c the other alerts are there first, OR it not showing up at all b/c my computer has problems & sometimes I get alerts & other times I don't.

If one day it's not open & I have another user open OR, nothing is open, I'll never get the notice.

Very simple & logical.

As for Thunderbird, I believe it does use LIghtning, but I tried to install it once, found it really hard to figure out, so I never used it. I did ask the Mozilla forum once for an add-on & that was all that was recommended.

I want something on my computer so no matter WHAT browser tab or window is open (or not), I'll get the notice.

I didn't see what you mentioned for the sticky program, so I'll go back & look. Thanks

Well, the statement.  "Alarms (time based reminders)," suggests a reminder feature is part and parcel of Cloud Sticky Notes.

I really cannot understand your objection to either using the web based interface to something like Google Calendar (or anyone's) or using an e-mail client that has either an integrated calendar or a calendar add in.  I don't know of a single one of these that won't provide pop-up reminders that you have to dismiss.  It seems that Cloud Sticky Notes does, too.

This is a dirt common feature of any calendar software I've ever used, whether by web interface or client interface.  There are scads of options available that work with the Thunderbird e-mail client:  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Calendars_-_Thunderbird 

Thank you. I will look into this as well. :)

To contribute, another option to use in Windows 7: Desktop-Reminder: <-snip-> Desktop-Reminder is a FREEWARE task planner for Windows to manage your tasks and other to-dos’ in an easy way. It can start with Windows and list all tasks, which are urgent for the current day. For a task with time of day defined a corresponding alarm message will be shown, when the time comes. <-end snip->

I have installed this program and it worked nicely. The free version has basic features, I found it easy to set up a couple of new tasks and received a pop-up when the reminder came due. You wished for "sound" notification, (as in a ding or such) it appears that without the Pro version, you can enjoy "Yodelayheeho" :-) (Better than nothing!)

This might work for you.

#10 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:01 PM

So I've been using this for a few weeks now & the only thing I don't like about it, is that it deletes the reminder once it's complete so if I need to refer back to it at a later date I can't.

Other than that, it's a good piece of software.

Thanks a ton :)

This might work for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users