Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KDE 17.1 Panel All Messed Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

My System Tray and Digital Clock Moved over to the Left because of something I clicked on, now can't get it back to where it was.  Really, as much as I like KDE it has a really weird way of doing things.  Now, all my stuff in the Panel is all the way to the Left.  I've tried almost every thing, I say almost because have not tried what works yet apparently.  I also notice that I cannot Minimize Chrome because it don't minimize to the Icons that are present, and just disappears into oblivion.

Hopefully some of you KDE guys can help me out.

qanVTSA.png

Edited by pcpunk, 09 March 2018 - 08:31 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:37 PM

Did you try creating a new panel?

KDE4 did have occasions where I had to create a new panel now and then

http://www.linuceum.com/Distros/osDesktopConfigKDE.php

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 March 2018 - 08:39 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:53 PM

Did you try creating a new panel?

I did now Madman, and that was the simple answer, thanks.  I forgot how I fixed it last time but that must have been it.  Sure would like to know how to fix the darn thing when it gets all messed up like that.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

Your "Task Manager" is missing from the panel in the OP.

1) Right click on panel and select "Unlock Widgets"
2) Right click on panel and select "Add Widgets"
3) Drag and drop "Task Manager" from the widgets into whatever position you ordinarily have it in, and all widgets to the right of that position will automatically move to the right of the panel.

... would have fixed it.

If you right click on the panel and "Lock Widgets," it shouldn't inadvertently happen again.

Edited by Al1000, 10 March 2018 - 10:09 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

I'm quite sure there never was a  "Task Manager" in the Panel Al, at least on 17.1 but I'm looking into it.  When I reset the Panel to Default I don't see it either.  I always Lock Widgets, but was playing with something to make a change and got it too a point that I could not fix it.  It is quite quirky, kinda like Xfce is to me.  I thought I fixed it in the past but could not remember how.

Thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,118 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

Task Manager is the "widget" that shows the names of windows and allows you to select different ones, etc. It's definitely there by default.

task_manager.kde.png

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Ahh, I see Al!  I will just grab the Task Manager and add it next time I have the same conditions.  That will be better because I lost my Lancelot/Menu Settings in the process of Resetting to a new Panel.

The weird thing is, when I hovered on the icons that were misplaced, they did say Task Manager over them at one point.

Also, it seems as though the Task Manager is hidden right?  Because now when I hover on the Empty space on the left and right of Center I do see it says Task Manager, and it give that little Ghost type Empty Space on either side also.

Thanks Al!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,118 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:34 AM

...the Task Manager is hidden right?

It's right there, in my screenshot.

The part of the panel with the buttons containing the names of the windows, is the Task Manager.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

I got it Al, it's just that it seems to be a hidden Widget, and is only used for Open Programs right?  Now that I have a fix will take a more indepth look later.  One reason for this is I would like to install KDE on my main desktop, and dual boot with Windows 7, already have it partitioned.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:24 PM

Hiya, Punk.

If it's anything like XFCE's 'panel', you can usually edit things so that the space for your TaskList/Task Manager (whatever it happens to be called) is fully expanded at all times. This way, it will always 'show' a large gap between whatever you have to left and right, and be there permanently.

I can't see KDE being 'less' configurable than XFCE; there's bound to be a way of doing this.....although, from what I remember of running Kubuntu a few years ago, KDE doesn't always do things in what would seem to be the logical way to do 'em!

Just a thought, that's all.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 14 March 2018 - 06:25 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

although, from what I remember of running Kubuntu a few years ago, KDE doesn't always do things in what would seem to be the logical way to do 'em!

Just a thought, that's all.

Mike.  :wink:

No they don't LOL, no logic here LOL, they do things KDE way and that's it.  It's like a Cult LOL.  And honestly don't have much use for Linux lately.  I do use it though, at least once a week I Sync some of my Personal and Work files across Three USB's, yes USB's lol.  I'm still stuck on USB's.  This way if I need my stuff and one dies, don't have to get it off an actual drive and on to another usb to go, just grab another USB that is all backed up already.  I enjoy using Linux, and playing around with it, but due to my poor health I cannot do things like you and the other more knowledgeable folks here.  I would love to setup a new machine and configure Conky etc. but it all becomes to hard for me to do alone.

The only problem is when I make a mistake like I did here, and it's been so long since I've made said mistakes, can't remember how to fix them.  Luckily the bro's here got me fixed up quickly.  I'll admit, KDE does things Different, that's for sure, but it is so good!  You either love it or leave it I guess.  The crazy thing is, I liked it so much, put it on my old XP Machine that really runs it a bit slow, but never hiccups a bit T5500 with only 4GB of Crucial RAM. 

If I had more space would get setup on another more powerful pc, and thinking about dual booting with my main pc, but that one houses all my work stuff also, so need to be careful with that one.  It don't house more than one drive either, so can't boot off another drive, which is what I want to do, not interested in External Booting either.  In time I think I'll get another computer that houses at least Two Drive bays, three if possible.  W7, W10 and KDE of some kind.  Probably just Windows 7 and KDE, that would be enough for one pc, as I have laptops laying around for bashing around with W10.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users