Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Short and Long DST test failed

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ChillYbillY328

ChillYbillY328

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Hi!!

I bought a new HP Envy 13 laptop couple of weeks back. But one day I was stuck on the lock screen as keyboard and mouse stopped working. Somehow, I went to the HP startup component test. I ran all the tests one by one and when I ran the Hard drive test and it failed the short dst test, passed the optimized dst test and failed the long dst test. I talked to the HP support and they told me it was a hardware issue and the SSD needs to be replace. Its a new laptop, so I had the option to replace the whole laptop, which I opted. Now, I have the new replaced laptop having the same issue. I had the technician visit and this time I thought okay let's replace the part (my work was suffering so I needed the laptop). So, the technician tries to replace the SSD and viola! No, not really. The new SSD has the short dst issue too!! (the fudge). He was saying that it might be a software issue but I'm thinking if it is a new SSD, it should not have any windows and/ or software installed on it right? Then, how can it be a software issue? Could this be a issue with the HP component testing program on startup? or is this some other hardware issue? I tried the other hardware tests on startup, they all were ok.

I have the option to take refund now, which I am opting for, but what is the actual issue?!? I would like to keep the laptop if it did not have any issues, I really like it.

Failure ID - 94WKUJ-91D91M-MFGGQK-60UV03

It is an Intel SSD. INTEL SSDPEKKF256G7H to be precise.

Running Win 10 Home, i5 8250U, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

I'm not sure that a Disk Surface Test is even applicable to an SSD.  There is no surface to test, and AFAIK they use advanced techniques controlled by the drives firmware to level wear across the drive.  I would suggest downloading the Intel SSD Toolbox and checking the health of the drive with that.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

Seagate Says...

Louis

#4 ChillYbillY328

ChillYbillY328
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

I'm not sure that a Disk Surface Test is even applicable to an SSD.  There is no surface to test, and AFAIK they use advanced techniques controlled by the drives firmware to level wear across the drive.  I would suggest downloading the Intel SSD Toolbox and checking the health of the drive with that.

I ran the tool's full diagnostic test and it passed with no errors. SSD tool performed read scan and data integrity scan. Though, are you sure that DST is not applicable to an SSD?

Seagate Says...

Louis

The SSD passes the smart - test, if that is what you're saying.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Just an opinion 3 in a row all new in the same unit I would be digging into the unit not the SSD's, makes no sense!  To me it is an HP problem they need to address, have a hunch this goes farther then you.  I would be poking around some HP blogs!  Who know there could be an issue with some of the bloatware!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 ChillYbillY328

ChillYbillY328
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

Just an opinion 3 in a row all new in the same unit I would be digging into the unit not the SSD's, makes no sense!  To me it is an HP problem they need to address, have a hunch this goes farther then you.  I would be poking around some HP blogs!  Who know there could be an issue with some of the bloatware!

I'm not sure if they have any HP forum specific for this device, but I'll check.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

I ran the tool's full diagnostic test and it passed with no errors. SSD tool performed read scan and data integrity scan. Though, are you sure that DST is not applicable to an SSD?

I'm not sure about HP's diagnostics software, have no knowledge of them.  There's nothing to say diagnostic tools can't be designed to test both SSD's and HDD's.  I do think I would trust the device manufacturers (i.e. Intel) own diagnostic tool designed for the SSD over a more general purpose tool though.  As said, perhaps one of HP's better informed support staff can comment on why the drive is failing their diagnostic but passing the Intel one, now you have that information.  It seems unlikely you'd get several bad SSD's in a row.  Is the computer otherwise working as expected?

Edited by jonuk76, 09 March 2018 - 08:32 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:05 PM

The following procedure may have been done already, but do it yourself so you have the direct information available.
--- Correct the results of what I entered that applies to your situation.

Go to
HP Diagnostic Failure ID Code
http://hpwtyweb.external.hp.com/wtyweb/home.aspx
Enter the failure ID Tag: 94WKUJ-91D91M-MFGGQK-60UV03.
Click on Get failure information.
The following screen will present the following information:
Failure ID Tag: 94WKUJ-91D91M-MFGGQK-60UV03.
Checksum: Hopefully OK.
HP Serial Number: Whatever it reports
Test Date: (yyyy/mm/dd)
Failure Code: 303
Device: Storage
Includes: Floppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape Drive.
Error Message: Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure.

Moving on
It appears to me that the SSD itself is ok because it passes both Intel & Seagate diagnostic tests.
However it fails HP's diagnostic tests: that indicates to me that it's an HP OEM configuration problem.
--- Do not accept the excuse that it's a software problem.
I agree with OldPhil: "Just an opinion 3 in a row all new in the same unit I would be digging into the unit not the SSD's, makes no sense!"
Contact HP again and demand to speak with a Supervisor.
--- Although you can receive a refund, vehemently demand a good working reliable unit or a replaceable model instead of the HP Envy 13 laptop.

Edited by cmptrgy, 09 March 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#9 ChillYbillY328

ChillYbillY328
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:16 AM

I'm not sure about HP's diagnostics software, have no knowledge of them.  There's nothing to say diagnostic tools can't be designed to test both SSD's and HDD's.  I do think I would trust the device manufacturers (i.e. Intel) own diagnostic tool designed for the SSD over a more general purpose tool though.  As said, perhaps one of HP's better informed support staff can comment on why the drive is failing their diagnostic but passing the Intel one, now you have that information.  It seems unlikely you'd get several bad SSD's in a row.  Is the computer otherwise working as expected?
Yes, it is working as expected but I don't want any problems to creep in later on. I want to make sure this thing is not an actual problem with the SSD.

The following procedure may have been done already, but do it yourself so you have the direct information available.
--- Correct the results of what I entered that applies to your situation.

Go to
HP Diagnostic Failure ID Codehttp://hpwtyweb.external.hp.com/wtyweb/home.aspx
Enter the failure ID Tag: 94WKUJ-91D91M-MFGGQK-60UV03.
Click on Get failure information.
The following screen will present the following information:
Failure ID Tag: 94WKUJ-91D91M-MFGGQK-60UV03.
Checksum: Hopefully OK.
HP Serial Number: Whatever it reports
Test Date: (yyyy/mm/dd)
Failure Code: 303
Device: Storage
Includes: Floppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape Drive.
Error Message: Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure.

Moving on
It appears to me that the SSD itself is ok because it passes both Intel & Seagate diagnostic tests.
However it fails HP's diagnostic tests: that indicates to me that it's an HP OEM configuration problem.
--- Do not accept the excuse that it's a software problem.
I agree with OldPhil: "Just an opinion 3 in a row all new in the same unit I would be digging into the unit not the SSD's, makes no sense!"Contact HP again and demand to speak with a Supervisor.
--- Although you can receive a refund, vehemently demand a good working reliable unit or a replaceable model instead of the HP Envy 13 laptop.

Will do sir. Although, that link is giving me some runtime server error every time I try to get info.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:43 AM

"Will do sir. Although, that link is giving me some runtime server error every time I try to get info."

--- That's interesting although not in a positive way for what ever reason.

I have 2 HP & 2 Dell Windows 10 computers and that link works on each one of them.

You could also type HP Diagnostic Failure ID Code Decoder into your Internet search box

--- The following page will display numerous selections

--- On all 4 of my computers the one I pointed out, it's at the top of the list with a heading of Failure ID Code Check - HP followed with that same link followed with a description: Failure ID Tag Diagnostic Failure ID Code Instructions for use: 1. Enter the Failure ID (dashes included) in the field below. 2. Click "Get Failure Information" button.

--- Whether or not it will be at the top of your list, I don't know but see what you can do.

--- There are other links indicating that you could still get the HP Diagnostic Failure ID Code Decoder so maybe it will make sense to check some of them.

I wish I knew how to post a simple screenshot so you could see exactly what to expect.

--- I've tried to look up instructions on how to do that but I guess I'm missing something.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

I can see HP easily leaving diagnostics for traditional hard disk drives in their mass produced image for any given model and I can also see the "short test" meant for a rotating drive to fail on an SSD.

Many HP models also use what are identified as antique PS/2 devices for the keyboard and touchpad (look in the device manager) and Windoze 10 disables PS/2 ports by default so an update could easily clobber them.

Do you have an external, USB, keyboard and mouse you can try?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

I know you have your hands full but if you can find the time you could also download the HP Support Assistant

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Let it automatically identify your product

You will be able to investigate their support features

When/if you do that and have follow-up questions, please let us know.

EDIT: One of my HP computers has an SSD that I installed myself to replace the HDD that came with the computer. I ran HP's hard drive diagnostic not because there is anything wrong with it but to see what it would report: passed. If you do get to the HP Support Assistant you will also get links for the documents that apply to your make/model. Maybe they could become handy somewhere along the way.

Edited by cmptrgy, 10 March 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#13 ChillYbillY328

ChillYbillY328
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

"Will do sir. Although, that link is giving me some runtime server error every time I try to get info."

--- That's interesting although not in a positive way for what ever reason.

I have 2 HP & 2 Dell Windows 10 computers and that link works on each one of them.

You could also type HP Diagnostic Failure ID Code Decoder into your Internet search box

--- The following page will display numerous selections

--- On all 4 of my computers the one I pointed out, it's at the top of the list with a heading of Failure ID Code Check - HP followed with that same link followed with a description: Failure ID Tag Diagnostic Failure ID Code Instructions for use: 1. Enter the Failure ID (dashes included) in the field below. 2. Click "Get Failure Information" button.

--- Whether or not it will be at the top of your list, I don't know but see what you can do.

--- There are other links indicating that you could still get the HP Diagnostic Failure ID Code Decoder so maybe it will make sense to check some of them.

I wish I knew how to post a simple screenshot so you could see exactly what to expect.

--- I've tried to look up instructions on how to do that but I guess I'm missing something.

I ran the link again and it worked this time and it gave the same information as you posted with failure code 303 and checksum ok. I tried searching the HP forums for this issue but they all relate to the hard drive and not a single one for the SSD.

I can see HP easily leaving diagnostics for traditional hard disk drives in their mass produced image for any given model and I can also see the "short test" meant for a rotating drive to fail on an SSD.

Many HP models also use what are identified as antique PS/2 devices for the keyboard and touchpad (look in the device manager) and Windoze 10 disables PS/2 ports by default so an update could easily clobber them.

Do you have an external, USB, keyboard and mouse you can try?

I don't have one :/

I know you have your hands full but if you can find the time you could also download the HP Support Assistant

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Let it automatically identify your product

You will be able to investigate their support features

When/if you do that and have follow-up questions, please let us know.

EDIT: One of my HP computers has an SSD that I installed myself to replace the HDD that came with the computer. I ran HP's hard drive diagnostic not because there is anything wrong with it but to see what it would report: passed. If you do get to the HP Support Assistant you will also get links for the documents that apply to your make/model. Maybe they could become handy somewhere along the way.

I have the HP support assistant already on the laptop. That's how I contacted them and the support assistant shows the SSD issue with the failure ID. Now, I have found some user guides for the device from the support assistant app -

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-13-ad100-laptop-pc/16851062/model/18458101/manuals

There is one specific guide for Hard drive & solid state drive troubleshooting but it has no differentiation with respect to HD and SSD.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

"I tried searching the HP forums for this issue but they all relate to the hard drive and not a single one for the SSD."

Maybe I missed it but does this mean you have 2 drives on your computer?

On running the HP Diagnostic Code Decoder, I hope you use that information when you contact HP again.

As I previously stated, "Do not accept the excuse that it's a software problem" in post #8.

-- It appears to me the laptop is only been in use about a month or so: hold HP responsible.

Edited by cmptrgy, 10 March 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#15 ChillYbillY328

ChillYbillY328
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

"I tried searching the HP forums for this issue but they all relate to the hard drive and not a single one for the SSD."

Maybe I missed it but does this mean you have 2 drives on your computer?

On running the HP Diagnostic Code Decoder, I hope you use that information when you contact HP again.

As I previously stated, "Do not accept the excuse that it's a software problem" in post #8.

-- It appears to me the laptop is only been in use about a month or so: hold HP responsible.

No, just one SSD and Yes, I won't accept the laptop if this issue is still here whether hardware or software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users