Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this HDD compatible with my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 robita233

robita233

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Hello, I ordered a new HDD for my laptop as my old one died on me and I would like to know for sure if it is compatible ( Mainly if it will fit and work properly ).

My laptop is DELL Inspiron 15 3000 series 3543.

This is the HDD I bought:
https://m.emag.ro/hard-disk-laptop-wd-black-1tb-7200rpm-32mb-sata-3-wd10jplx/pd/D0YTJ2BBM/

Thanks in advance !

P.S: Sorry if I misspelled something, I am writing this from my phone and I am not a native English speaker.

Edited by robita233, 09 March 2018 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

Seriously??

Your previous thread has over 4 pages of replies, and now your asking the same question again?

:scratchhead:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/672472/is-this-hdd-good-for-my-laptop/

Edited by mikey11, 09 March 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#3 robita233

robita233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

Hello, that thread was when I knew nothing about what my laptop exact version was and I finally came up with a " probably it will be compatible " without any concrete answer from someone who had the laptop, I am still unsure because I constantly find some informations that say it will not fit and some that say it will fit; the final message on that thread was when someone finally told me to insert my service tag on the Dell support website and I could see my exact laptop.

Now I would like to be 100% sure about the purchase as maybe anyone here has my exact laptop and have bought a replacement similar to what I bought.

Edited by robita233, 09 March 2018 - 05:53 PM.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

I am still unsure because I constantly find some informations that say it will not fit and some that say it will fit

then you should have taken my advice in post #29 of your previous thread........

"if you are IN DOUBT if a normal sized drive will fit in your computer, then you should purchase a THIN DRIVE to be on the safe side....because you already know for sure that it fits!

you are making things difficult when they are really so simple.....buy the exact same drive that you removed.....done"

you have already ordered the drive and it is presumably on its way.....so how are more opinions going to help anything at this point?

Edited by mikey11, 09 March 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

Hi,

According with the Dell website the original HDD is a 7mm drive and the one in your link is a 9.5 mm so there is a big possibility that the HDD will not fit!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 robita233

robita233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

I wanted to take a better one, so... I forked up then... ehh much more time to wait until I will return it...

Are you 100% sure it won't fit? Everyone said it would, cmonnnn why is love so cruel haha.

Edited by robita233, 09 March 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:50 PM

I wanted to take a better one, so... I forked up then... ehh much more time to wait until I will return it...

Are you 100% sure it won't fit? Everyone said it would, cmonnnn why is love so cruel haha.

On "Everyone said it would"

--- That's debatable as we cannot see your computer but the technician you checked with did see it. Do not blame us if it doesn't fit. The recommendation for the hard drive you inquired about is based on that technician's personal input.

In your previous thread, in post #31,

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/672472/is-this-hdd-good-for-my-laptop/page-3 

you mention "Okay I went to someone ( a technician) and he said that THIN HDD has a like cover to make it fit cause my laptop supports normal ones, so that means it was THIN but it works with normal ones"

--- Doesn't that answer your concern?

#8 robita233

robita233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, but he may be wrong, I am just asking don't get mad at me, we'll see when it arrives, if it won't fit I am gonna take a 7mm one

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

I,ll have 10-1 odds it fits , maybe without the outer frame if left off.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

Hi,

According with the Dell website the original HDD is a 7mm drive and the one in your link is a 9.5 mm so there is a big possibility that the HDD will not fit!

In post #23 of the prior post per this subject, Dell's website reports that Seagate does have 7mm hard drives available for 500GB, 329GB & 250GB options. But since a technician who physically saw the computer mentions that this laptop supports normal ones, he better be right.

Edited by cmptrgy, 10 March 2018 - 08:09 AM.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

In post #23 of the prior post per this subject, Dell's website reports that Seagate does have 7mm hard drives available for 500GB, 329GB & 250GB options. But since a technician who physically saw the computer mentions that this laptop supports normal ones, he better be right.

A visual inspection is always better...

For the OP, the new HDD will work just fine the problem with the 9.5mm height is that it could be difficult or impossible to correctly put the base cover that protects and hides the HDD, memory, etc.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

A visual inspection is always better...

For the OP, the new HDD will work just fine the problem with the 9.5mm height is that it could be difficult or impossible to correctly put the base cover that protects and hides the HDD, memory, etc.

That's a good point: especially since the original configuration of robita233's laptop had this HDD

Dell NJG52 ST500LT012 2.5" SATA Thin 500GB 5400 Seagate Laptop Hard Drive Inspiron 3521

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-ST500LT012-Seagate-Laptop-Inspiron/dp/B00N28ZKIY

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2018 - 08:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users