Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Packetloss on brand new fiberoptics connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

2d1trat.jpg

This is while I'm maxing out my download. 

I feel that it's a bit much for a brand new connection.

Some advice on what steps I should take in troubleshooting it is appreciated. Or should I just accept the fact that I will have a few % packet loss while downloading? 

There is more or less 0 % packet loss on the connection while not under any stress.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

This is possibly due to traffic shaping by your ISP. Pings would be low priority and discarded before "real" traffic with most intelligent shapers. You could also try the ping to your gateway router (if your ISP allows it to respond) to see if it's local or "out there" somewhere between you and the Google name servers. I'd look closely at the interface stats on your system and see if it is reporting any packet loss or retransmissions on "real" traffic.

#3 Vicin

Vicin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

Cool, I'll start in that end and post an update here if I require further assistance. Thank you :)

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

If your maxing out your bandwidth you will drop packets. You can only fit so much in the Pipe, if you try and shove a 6" ball in a 3" in pipe you will loose some of the 6" ball. Also remember even with Fiber optic your speed/bandwidth is limited by the slowest link in the connection

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Vicin

Vicin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Yes, I realize I'll get some packet loss while maxing it out but by googling I couldn't figure out if 4 % was good or bad considering the situation.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Your dropping packets while pinging a Google Server. This can be affected by anything between you and the Google server replying to your ping including the load on the server your pinging. Try running a ping against your default gateway and see if your packet loss stops. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Vicin

Vicin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

I have 0 % packet loss over the course of an hour while pinging google so there's no issues except for while my connection is under stress. 

I'm mostly interested in if 4 % is high, normal or low packet loss while putting stress on the network. The connection was installed about 10 days ago, just making sure there's not anything wrong with it.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

The percentage is subjective, if its not causing you any problems then no its not high. If your not dropping packets when your not maxing it out, there is no issue. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Vicin

Vicin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Thank you all for the answers :) I'm trying to get better at networking and you've been a ton of help!

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

Your Welcome!

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer