Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switch, Switch, Who Has The Switch?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mind_001

Mind_001

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

I'm looking for a switch. (I mean, duh, right?)

Anyway, I need 3 switches. I am moving into a new house this summer, and I want this done right. Unlike the jumble I have now.

For one, I would like a 16-port switch. This will go in our basement. Along with our modem and router. This will hook up all our PCs in the house, and whatever else we may hook up to it later. If 24-port is cheaper than the 16-port, then I'll get that.

For the other two, this will be in my bedroom, as well as in the guest room. (really, like my parent's office) These I would like to be 8-port switches. For whatever number of computers we will put in each room. Again, if the 16-port is cheaper, then horray!

I was thinking of buying these all non-managed. So I don't have to worry about configuring everything. I'm a noob when it comes to networking.

Anyone have ideas for brand names? I heard from a friend that TP_Link is top notch. I read a few articles on Netgear that they have not been up to par. Cisco is good, but damn pricey...

Looking around $75 for each switch. I can mingle higher if needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

Cisco is top line....TP are relatively new.....

when i was in the networking game/field i always used to install D-Link....and in my 20+ years i never had a problem with any of them, or one complaint about them

another i would recommend is netgear

Edited by mikey11, 09 March 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

I would add Adtran, Zyxel, Dell, HP, and SMC to Mikey11's list. However, if I was looking for something like that for home today I would be looking at used gear. There is a glut of really nice 10/100/1000 switches out there as data centers, schools, and enterprises upgrade to 10G and other tech. I found a new in box 24 port PoE switch from a name brand for $18 a couple weeks ago. If you are in the city it's worth looking around for surplus shops like Halted Electronics in Silly (formerly Silicon) Valley. I'm now rural, and I still find them. For new... Provantage.com lists 21 different 24 port switches under $100.

#4 Mind_001

Mind_001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:55 PM

I would add Adtran, Zyxel, Dell, HP, and SMC to Mikey11's list. However, if I was looking for something like that for home today I would be looking at used gear. There is a glut of really nice 10/100/1000 switches out there as data centers, schools, and enterprises upgrade to 10G and other tech. I found a new in box 24 port PoE switch from a name brand for $18 a couple weeks ago. If you are in the city it's worth looking around for surplus shops like Halted Electronics in Silly (formerly Silicon) Valley. I'm now rural, and I still find them. For new... Provantage.com lists 21 different 24 port switches under $100.

Is eBay a good source, too? Or are you meh against that?

I do live in the city, but I never saw great sellings like you describe...

Edited by Mind_001, 09 March 2018 - 11:56 PM.

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

Ebay certainly works, just check the seller's rep.

#6 Mind_001

Mind_001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

Ebay certainly works, just check the seller's rep.

Definitely. I always do check their rep :)

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

ebay is great.......for buyers

if it doesn't work you can send it back....ebay will take the buyers side every time and give you your money back

i BUY on ebay all the time.....i however will NEVER SELL anything on ebay again.....i have been scammed too many times by dishonest buyers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users