Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wmp Will Not Burn Audio Cds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

Hi all.

I have ripped a few of my fav songs from my CD collection, put them in a playlist to copy to a CD l can use in my car.
I have carried out the same procedure lots of times ( I don't like my new CDs rollong around my car) with no problem.
This time however, after the conversion stage, media player closes the disk and reports it cannot copy.
THe suggestion is to clean or change the disk, or lower the write speed.
I have tried all this to no avail.
I also tried to burn using Sonic Stage, this also failed.
I then copied the song files onto my memory stick, loaded them onto my son's laptop to see if his would burn them to CD. Success!!! his did, using Sonic stage.

I have also noted, on a number of occasions recently my CD drive does not recognize some software l put in it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I run Win XP Pro l did have wmp 9. but upgraded to wmp 10. both failed to burn.

My CD-RW drive is a Sony CRX830E

Many thanks
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

Have you tried cleaning the drive with a laser cleaning CD?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:09 AM

Hi TQ,

yes, clean as a whistle.
Geoff

#4 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:46 AM

Any other ideas?
Geoff

#5 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hi all.

ok, further to my last, my CD-RW drive is a Sony CRX 830E.

It is present in My Computer and is declared working ok in Device Manager.

When l insert a disk it has previously had no problem playing, the light shows on the CD-RW drive for a moment, then there is a faint 'click' then the light extinguishes and nothing.
It sounds to me like l may need a new drive :thumbsup:

Any advice please?
Geoff

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:21 AM

Noises from a CD (or DVD) drive are never good.

Try going into Control Panel, double click on System, then click on the Hardware tab. Now, click on "Device Manager". Find your CD player under DVD/CD-ROM Drives, right click on it and then click "Uninstall". After it's done uninstalling, restart your computer. CD Drives are "plug and play", so Windows will find the CD drive as a new Device, and automatically install it.

I believe that this might go one of 3 ways: It will reinstall fine and work like it should (allowing you to burn CD's); it will reinstall fine but still won't work right; or it won't reinstall if it recognizes that it's a bad drive. In the event that it won't work again, or won't reinstall, then I'd venture a guess that it's time to buy a new CD burner (which is exactly what I would do if I were in your position).

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

Hi Stevealmighty,

well l finally admitted it to myself aqnd have ordered a new one .

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:
Geoff

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

No problem Geoff777! Glad I could help! If there's anything else that we can help you with, please post back and let us know!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

Hi Stevealmighty,

there sure is!!

please take a look at my post SQL Anywhere in the business applications forum.
Not sure if this is your forte, but l could certainly do with some pointers :thumbsup:

many thanks
Geoff

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

Oh, no no no, sorry! I can't even spell "ess que el" (SQL) LOL! Sorry! Don't worry though, there's a lot of smart people here, and someone will help you!

Best of luck! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users