Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD optimization in Win 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:17 AM

I just followed the steps in the link below to perk up my 6 year old Intel 120 that I just put into my Acer Mini.  Very good results, it reduced boot and shut down time by at the very least in 1/2.  Have not tested programs yet but my favorite game now comes up much faster.  Doing the little things made a big difference, it will also reduce wear and tear on the drive.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/12-things-you-must-do-when-running-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

Some of the suggestions are ok, but one I really would not suggest to do is disable system restore.  That can save your bacon sometimes, and it really does not slow the SSD access. As far as taking drive space, you can set the restore to smaller amount of space reserved for it. IMHO, that should not be a factor. The price difference between a  250gig and (for example) 500gig is not so great as to warrant purchasing a drive that is so small in storage that you have to delete System Restore.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

Mason great video! 

I went all the extra steps that were in my post only because this was the C: drive out of my 6 year old tower.  I put it into a older Acer mini with 1.6 chip and 2 g ram which also piped the sata from 600 down to 300.  It needed all the tweaks it could get, it did make a decent difference.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users