Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft says 'majority' of Windows 10 use will be 'streamlined S mode'

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

Microsoft has confirmed Windows 10 S will be a "mode" available in all versions of Windows, and added a prediction it'll be used by a "majority" of users.

Microsoft's therefore decided that "starting with the next update to Windows 10, coming soon, customers can choose to buy a new Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro PC with S mode enabled, and commercial customers will be able to deploy Windows 10 Enterprise with S mode enabled."

"We expect the majority of customers to enjoy the benefits of Windows 10 in S mode," Belfiore wrote. Which is hardly a ringing endorsement of Windows 10 in its dominant configuration!

The good news is that S mode won't be forever. You can flip back to Windows 10 Pro, Home or Enterprise, depending on your setup, if you wish. Belfiore wrote that "if a customer does want to switch out of S mode, they will be able to do so at no charge, regardless of edition."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/09/windows_10_s_mode_confirmed/

Microsoft is really pushing UWP. I'm not sure how successful it will be though. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 March 2018 - 09:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

I think that Windows 10 S Mode is about as likely to be successful as the Windows Phone.

The embedded base of Windows users is simply not looking to jettison decades of experience with Windows as it is and has been to go to UWP.

I've said it several times recently, and will again:   Windows S Mode is a solution in search of a problem.  Microsoft (and others) should have long ago learned that this sort of tectonic shift coupled with a "build it and they will come" attitude never works.  Windows 8/8.1 should have taught them that, again.

The real predictive metrics are:

1.  How successful was Windows S as an edition?

2.  How often do you hear any individual user or someone in charge of institutional IT asking about or enthused about Windows 10 S or S Mode?

Everything I've seen "in the wild" so far indicates that the much vaunted S Mode is DOA.

Edited by britechguy, 09 March 2018 - 09:38 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

I've said it several times recently, and will again:   Windows S Mode is a solution in search of a problem.  Microsoft (and others) should have long ago learned that this sort of tectonic shift coupled with a "build it and they will come" attitude never works.  Windows 8/8.1 should have taught them that, again.

So true.

#4 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

UWP is great for what it is. Standardized API's across systems are a boon for developers. That being said, britech is exactly right. S Mode is going to be a bust. Windows apps suck. The windows store is a joke. And that's not an issue with UWP, that's an issue with Microsoft and their lazy app development team. I don't know why Microsoft insists on pushing things that their consumers don't want or use. It's a monumental waste of time, money, and effort. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

I can't begin to imagine in my wildest dreams enterprise customers going to S mode.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

I can't begin to imagine in my wildest dreams enterprise customers going to S mode.

Nor can I, given that the software that the vast majority of enterprise (and even educational) customers use is not supported under S Mode.   

Unless I am mistaken, S Mode only supports UWPs.  That makes it "dead in the water" right there as far as the embedded base of Windows users go.  And this would be true if the Windows Store were a fantasy land of perfect apps that everyone wanted.  

In schools, for instance, the mandate for accessibility exists for students who need it.  Most accessibility software beyond the basics built in to Windows is not UWP and will not be UWP at any time in the near (and sometimes even longer term foreseeable) future.   Most of the software I use and run daily (e.g., Firefox, Chrome, etc.) fit that bill, too.

Edited by britechguy, 09 March 2018 - 10:35 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

And here is another reason "S" will die a quick death. Steam. It's not available on the Windows Store and never will be.

Another thing I don't understand is how Microsoft is going to handle Win32 programs on a person's computer when it auto switches over to S mode during the Spring Update. Are people going see see all there regular programs gone and replaced by UWP programs that are available replacements? Or are they going to see their programs and when they attempt to run them they will get some notification that they do not work in S mode? Fun times.

How buried will the setting be to change from S mode to regular mode? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 March 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

John,

Can you point me to a reference from Microsoft stating that there is going to be an automatic switch to S Mode as part and parcel of the update to Version 1803?

I have not, prior to reading your comment, heard any such thing.  I participate on another site on several groups for blind and low-vision individuals and the JAWS and NVDA groups are two of those, and the Win10 Group for Screen Reader Users is the third.  There are a number of folks who are *very* well informed about Win10 and what's coming up, and I have not seen word one regarding this there, either.  Were this to happen it would be a disaster for those using third party accessibility software not to mention such a huge swath of the embedded user base that it boggles the mind that Microsoft would even suggest such a thing, let alone do it.

~ Lauren Bacall

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

Brian, that was a bad assumption I made and you know what they say about assume.  :blush: I don't know how I got it in my head that S mode was part of the Spring 1803 update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 March 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

John,

We all make mistaken assumptions at various points in time.   I'm greatly relieved that this is precisely what this was!

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users