Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Flat File Based Incremental Backup Software

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Coys55

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

I have been running Bullguard Backup since 2011 for carrying out incremental backups of my systems to a NAS drive. A couple of years ago Bullguard stopped support of the software when they replaced it with a cloud-based something or other which I didn't want to use, so I happily carried on using the old unsupported software until something went wrong last night and I now appear to be locked out of my account with little hope of getting back in (I spent ages on the online help this morning to no avail).

The thing I liked about Bulguard Backup was that it kept the files as is in their directory structure rather than wrapping them into a single compressed prorprietary file which can only be restored via the software. This makes it very easy to restore a single file, either from the latest backup or an earlier incremental version, and for other members of the family to access photos, documents, etc. from the most recent (i.e. nightly) backup on the NAS. My Sonos speakers also access the most recent music backup from the NAS.

I've been looking for something similar (free or not) to replace BullGuard for some time, but nothing seems to work in the same way (I've just run a test with AOMEI Backup).

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,103 posts
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

I have not used it in a long time but check out Comodo Backup. Online and compression is optional. I don't know the difference between the free and paid versions.

Edit: I am not sure if is a flat file based backup. Edit Edit: Simple copy is an option

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 March 2018 - 09:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users