Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing a printer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 azaAZA

azaAZA

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:25 AM

So, soon I'm moving my office to my home, and I need the equipment that I know how to use. I'm saying this so you'll know that I don't understand tech but I need some of it to get my work done :) Don't judge me :) I'm choosing a printer and I could use some tips. Basically, it will be used for a regular text printing and especially for labels - I use Rhino printer labels. So I don't need it for some high-quality images but to work fast and if it's possible to print right out to the edges. But this "borderless" thing isn't a deal maker, I just really don't need that delay before the machine actually starts printing that can happen with some printers and I need it to print labels without complications.
Thanks!

Edited by azaAZA, 09 March 2018 - 04:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UforUserName

UforUserName

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:43 AM

Hi azaAZA, 

I would recommend researching HP printers. They have plenty of models and depending on your specific needs, you can find smaller ones and bigger ones, and there are those with scanners included and a photocopier. It's entirely up to you and your available space. But I would recommend them! :)

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

As a cost effective move do not buy an ink jet, inks are quite expensive.  You will be well ahead of the game buying a laser printer.  I bought a Brother almost two years ago is has been great.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 azaAZA

azaAZA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:44 AM

Thanks, guys :) I'll keep that in mind. I agree about a laser printer

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

As a cost effective move do not buy an ink jet, inks are quite expensive.  You will be well ahead of the game buying a laser printer.  I bought a Brother almost two years ago is has been great.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/

agreed.....spend a bit more money on a laser printer.....well worth it in the long run

i  bought a Canon MF217W about a year ago and love it.....but it is not color (which i don't need)

i am printing about 3000 - 3500 pages per toner, and i buy toners for only $20

Edited by mikey11, 09 March 2018 - 08:18 AM.

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

Agree....laser printers a much better suited for office use. Brother makes some nice printers

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

I agree that laser printers, if one can afford the initial outlay, are definitely more economical in the long run.  But, they also tend to be space hogs compared to inkjet printers.   Another advantage (provided you don't need really good photo quality color printing) is that the toners are a lot more resistant to fading than inkjet ink is.

All of the above being said, inkjets can still be a real bargain if you use a continuous ink supply system (which I'd only do if I had really high print volume) or refillable ink tanks with auto-reset chips.   I've been using the latter for my home printers for years and a set of them costs about as much as a single extra capacity ink tank/cartridge and the 5 quart-sized bottles of inks I have will be a supply that lasts years and years.  The total cost was probably less than a full single set of OEM tanks/cartridges.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

What ever type you select, look for units that have a straight through paper path.  Units that have a 90 degree turn or complete 180 turns will create problems when labels peel off the page and stick inside the unit, blocking the paper path.

#9 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

I've been extremely happy with my Brother HL-L2350DW. If you don't need all the frills of an All-In-One (scanning, copying, etc), I would definitely recommend this printer - I haven't had any problems with it and was a breeze to set up.

It can print on a variety of papers (even labels), and is considerably cheap to purchase with 3rd party toner cartridges in the $20-30 range online.

#10 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

I agree that laser printers, if one can afford the initial outlay, are definitely more economical in the long run.  But, they also tend to be space hogs compared to inkjet printers.   Another advantage (provided you don't need really good photo quality color printing) is that the toners are a lot more resistant to fading than inkjet ink is.

All of the above being said, inkjets can still be a real bargain if you use a continuous ink supply system (which I'd only do if I had really high print volume) or refillable ink tanks with auto-reset chips.   I've been using the latter for my home printers for years and a set of them costs about as much as a single extra capacity ink tank/cartridge and the 5 quart-sized bottles of inks I have will be a supply that lasts years and years.  The total cost was probably less than a full single set of OEM tanks/cartridges.

I know of too many people that have used those off brand refills, and they end up having to buy new printers. I know that it is a big rip off from the manufacture's to over charge for ink, but if your printer is on warranty, then I would not recommend third party ink

#11 WilliamsThomas

WilliamsThomas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:28 AM

thanks for suggestions i also agree to buy laser printer...better suit for office work 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users