Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Added New Hard Drive And Installed Xp That Belongs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 detel

detel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:16 AM

I really goofed on this one. I installed a larger HD on my wife's PC. I left the old HD intact until I transferred all the info but when I booted the pc after installing the new HD it stopped and wouldn't do anything. I put in my copy of XPPro (thinking it was my wifes')CD and rebooted and it loaded the XP Program, problem is that this was the XP program that is register to my PC. So now I have Drive C: that is 19.0GB with my wife's XP with all of her program's and the new Drive F: that is 149GB that has my registered XP on it. How do I get my wife's info put on the new drive so that I can remove the old one?
Thanks.
Michael :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:39 AM

Are they both supposed to be XP Pro installations?
Or was your wife's computer XP home?

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 October 2006 - 06:40 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

Are the CD's the same for each one? It matters if they're OEM, Upgrade, Retail - and the Service Pack level must also be the same.

Essentially what you'll have to do is wipe the F: drive clean to remove your OS from it (and maybe a little editing of the boot.ini file). That will remove your XP from her drives.

Then you'll have to figger out how to get her XP to the new larger drive. There's many different methods of doing this - but here's my favorite: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

You may have to repair the wife's XP installation before you can do this. If so, let us know and we can troubleshoot that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

If they are the same installation but just with different product keys you can use the Microsoft Tool for changing the key to the correct key for that computer:

The Windows Product Key Update Tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/...structions.aspx

#5 detel

detel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic