Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NordVPN

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:46 PM

Anyone have any input on Nord??

Edited by britechguy, 09 March 2018 - 10:29 AM.
Moved from Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software. VPNs generally get discussed here.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

OldPhil, I have been looking at IPvanish, I found it at comparitech, they have expressvpn as 1, nordvpn as 2, ipvanish at 3 and a bunch of others,

I selected vanish because it as been built for torrenting, have a look for your self, I might try one month payment to see how it does.

optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the input will give it a look when I get home from vacation.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

Hey,I think NordVPN is an excellent choice, you could also take a look at ProtonVPN & P.I.A. :)

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:55 PM

NordVPN shows a killer deal if one stays on the page for a minute, $99 for 3 years & auto renewal. :thumbup2:

One will continue to get the full 3 years afterwards, good for 5-6 devices, to include most all OS's (including Linux), as well as smartphones, the latter most likely their high volume business. I say this because a smartphone is far less secure than a computer, or so that's what most security reviewers says. Kind of like Smart TV's, keeps up with everything one does to feed ads. If using a VPN, should fix the issue. 

I don't have NordVPN yet, although have been having an itchy finger to pull the trigger for the last 3-4 days & most likely will. Not that I have anything to hide, rather want another layer of security. Even though what I do is legal, doesn't mean my ISP, Microsoft & others should know my business. Plus will give me end to end encryption when making transactions. Even if on a public or guest hotspot, no one in the corner can make out what I'm doing. The installed Firewall doesn't protect the signal once it leaves the computer or device, where a reputable VPN comes into play. :)

They have a TOS just as any other service, certain activities aren't allowed & Nord (or any other VPN service) can terminate the contract at will, don't know if they give a pro-rated refund or not. However, there's a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, if one doesn't like the service after paying, can terminate for a refund during the trial period, it's best not to wait until the last day make the decision. One should know within a week or two if NordVPN (or any other) is best for one's need. 

As far as reputation goes, have read much everywhere, are at or near the top of all VPN service charts, lots of servers & very high encryption of data flow. Was thinking of one of the 'lifetime' options from another provider, which means nothing should they be acquired by another corporation or goes belly up. Don't see that happening with NordVPN. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

I gave IVACY a run. Hopeless. Disconnects at will at random times. I dont encounter this crap with my current vpn.

Would not recommend.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:08 AM

Nord is a good vpn. Forget about the rankings review sites are posting, the one I follow "bestvpn" places Nord on 2nd but I can tell you man, its a lot better than the 1st one :D

I've used Express, PureVPN and IPVanish, I find Nord a lot better than them. 

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:12 AM

I use AIRVPN

for two years approx

Cost 15 euros/three months......which i believe works out to $1.80/week (AUD)

it works. Simple

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 davidmichaels

davidmichaels

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 31 August 2018 - 02:20 AM

Its good good GO from me because, Nord VPN offers a VPN service comparatively at a  cheap price that allows its users to browse anonymously and securely.

Their virtual private network servers use Open VPN tunneling protocol and AES 256-bit encryption (with double data protection) which is a big thing I must say ;) 

I would like to highlight some of its features for you :)

1. Strong Features & Add Ons
  2. No Logging Policy
  3. Best for Netflix and Torrenting
  4. Improved Speed
  5. No DNS LeaK

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:46 AM

Nord VPN still offers the 3 year plan, which comes out to $2.75/month (although must be paid in full). No discount code needed. :guitar:

https://join.nordvpn.com/order/?_ga=2.97312607.1558459349.1535732977-390314237.1535732977

I really need one now, considering have recently purchased an iPhone, don't know (yet) how well Mac security is. Have always been leery of both Apple & Google Pay, now a lot of my business is on the phone. 

I'd call $99 billed every 3 years (can use PayPal) a good value & high security, for both mobile & home usage. Nord (or any worth having VPN) also allows many of our AU forum members to 'be' in a US location to access services where otherwise not allowed. Or US residents (example) to appear from another jurisdiction where we can't be overseen by Big Government. :)

They were big on monitoring calls/Internet usage long before jumping on on the anti-encryption deal during the tenure of James Comey.

Not that I'm promoting one brand over the other, yet the more anti-logging features & strong encryption, the better. So it basically boils down to Nord & Express, and what deal (time included) one wants. 

Those which are shipped with security packages cannot be trusted as well, plus not as much data allowed. An add-on for more data with these becomes pricey. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 deancollins

deancollins

• Banned Spammer
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:00 AM

I use HideMe. It's good one. You may try.

#12 MZOP

MZOP

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:17 PM

NordVPN shows a killer deal if one stays on the page for a minute, $99 for 3 years & auto renewal. :thumbup2:

One will continue to get the full 3 years afterwards, good for 5-6 devices, to include most all OS's (including Linux), as well as smartphones, the latter most likely their high volume business. I say this because a smartphone is far less secure than a computer, or so that's what most security reviewers says. Kind of like Smart TV's, keeps up with everything one does to feed ads. If using a VPN, should fix the issue. 

I don't have NordVPN yet, although have been having an itchy finger to pull the trigger for the last 3-4 days & most likely will. Not that I have anything to hide, rather want another layer of security. Even though what I do is legal, doesn't mean my ISP, Microsoft & others should know my business. Plus will give me end to end encryption when making transactions. Even if on a public or guest hotspot, no one in the corner can make out what I'm doing. The installed Firewall doesn't protect the signal once it leaves the computer or device, where a reputable VPN comes into play. :)

They have a TOS just as any other service, certain activities aren't allowed & Nord (or any other VPN service) can terminate the contract at will, don't know if they give a pro-rated refund or not. However, there's a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, if one doesn't like the service after paying, can terminate for a refund during the trial period, it's best not to wait until the last day make the decision. One should know within a week or two if NordVPN (or any other) is best for one's need. 

As far as reputation goes, have read much everywhere, are at or near the top of all VPN service charts, lots of servers & very high encryption of data flow. Was thinking of one of the 'lifetime' options from another provider, which means nothing should they be acquired by another corporation or goes belly up. Don't see that happening with NordVPN. :)

Cat

A3 year subscription defeat some of the purpose if your goal is to not be "logged" or be targeted to advertisement...

#13 johncrooks98

johncrooks98

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:26 AM

I am using NordVPN since form last three year and within 2 or 3 months always got lot of new changes on the software, These days NordVPN is a first choice program for Privacy or anonymity. Also, have more than 4000+ active servers. If anyone planning for buy NordVPN then Go Ahead!

#14 Bry89

Bry89

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

I only recently heard about this when it was advertised on TV, telling people about its great benefits. Not something I'd use though, because VPNs don't interest me the slightest bit.

>>mindsConnected<<

A smaller, close-knit tech-oriented community. Everybody welcome.

#15 johncrooks98

johncrooks98

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

I only recently heard about this when it was advertised on TV, telling people about its great benefits. Not something I'd use though, because VPNs don't interest me the slightest bit.

If you want to make your internet activity private or anonymous then yes, VPN is a great tool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users