Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John H Nolen

John H Nolen

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:32 PM

Win10 media player will not make a DVD from Movie Maker. What program can I use to make a DVD that can be played on a DVD player?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

Hi John,

Movie Maker was a part of Windows Live Essentials, and was officially removed for download on January 10, 2017, Movie Maker is replaced by Story Remix (which arrived in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.)

If you have saved a video previously created with Movie Maker you can use Windows Media Player to burn a DVD. Open Windows Media Player -> click the "Burn" tab -> Click and drag your movie file from its save location to the burn list -> Click the Burn Options drop-down and change the burn profile from "Audio CD" to "Data CD or DVD."  -> Insert a blank DVD into your DVD drive. Click the "Start Burn" button in Windows Media Player to initiate the burn.

wmpburn.jpg

I hope this helps.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:19 PM

Although Windows Live Essentials has been pulled from the Microsoft site, I archived it very shortly before that happened on my Google Drive because a number of my visually impaired and blind clients need to have Windows Live Mail, which is part of the package.  So is Movie Maker.  I can't remember all the programs that are, but you can pick and choose to install only those that you want.

If anyone wants it feel free to download the full installer package (not the web stub) for Windows Live Essentials from my Google Drive.  It's in ZIP format.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:35 PM

Hi Brian, recently I found the WLive Essential download, did so and it was not a success for me in Windows 10, It messed with my files? I needed Movie Maker to sort out a .mov video I have. I ended up uninstalling it via Revo. No recent glitches for any of your clients?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:57 PM

The only thing I've been installing myself is Windows Live Mail, and it works perfectly under Windows 10 just like it does under earlier versions of Windows.

The Windows Live Essentials that I have archived was the last version:  2012.

I cannot speak to what any of the other programs may or may not do.  That being said, I have yet to encounter a single "old program" that I do still use that hasn't installed and run just fine under Windows 10, and I've got some stuff that dates back to XP (but not much - which reminds me I need to get the ancient version of MS Photo Editor that was part of MS-Office on this machine.  It's the best thing I've ever used for creating transparency in backgrounds with maximum ease).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:24 AM

Bummer for me, however it's great news about your continued WLE success, there are so many folks missing some or all of the features! 

You could burn a DVD in Movie Maker using Windows DVD Maker. Unfortunately Windows DVD Movie Maker is no longer supported in Windows 10.

If @john still has Movie Maker, the dilemma about his inability to burn a DVD exists. If the steps I have provided above using Windows Media do not work, we'll need further information from him as to the nature of his files and the file type they have been saved as. 

Your thoughts?

Self edit due to errors

Edited by softeyes, 09 March 2018 - 12:37 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

My favorite utility for burning to optical disc, regardless of what it is I may be needing to burn to it, is Anyburn.  It can handle Blu-ray and even create bootable USB drives.  The interface is about as clean and simple as they come and it's free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users