Yesterday my computer (Win 7 ultimate) became unusably slow out of nowhere, I was unable to interact with anything and Ctrl+Alt+Del did nothing, so I rebooted. Once I was back in, I noticed I'm unable to use the Internet even though it says I'm connected. I've had this problem a few times in the past, but without the freezing and it resolved itself within an hour. It's been 24 hours and here's a list of what I've tried as well as important information.
restarted modem and router
diagnostics said the DNS server wasn't responding
have tried using openDNS and Google DNS without success
I am able to ping IPs and receive replies but can't ping domain names as well as being unable to connect to either via browser
I'm running a scan with Avast and Mbam, although Mbam is a fresh install I did manually update the rules.ref with the download from their site. I did run RKill prior to scanning.
other devices and PCs work fine which was concerning
I'm at a dead end until the scans finish. I don't know what to do.
Edited by takeItSlow, 08 March 2018 - 07:44 PM.