Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bogus emails form Microsoft (or so they say)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 msream841

msream841

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

I recieved this email yesterday.   I searched the phone number and it seems it is another scam.  Usually I get a call from someone with an accent telling something is wrong with  my computer and they want me to let them get on it.  How stupid do they think people are....

here it is.

Dear Users,
Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Windows Computer. We have found suspicious login at tempt on your windows computer through an unknown source.
When our security officers investigated, it was found out that someone from foreign I.P  Address was trying to make a prohibited connection on your network which can corrupt your windows license key.Please review the details of the sign-in attempt. Last log in  attempt on your I.P address: March 6th,2018 05:25 A.M GMT

I.P Address : 196.27.255.255
If you don't recognize this sign-in attempt, Someone else might be trying to access your Network.
Please contact Microsoft Security Center and report to us immediately Call Toll Free: 1-888-762-7186 or substitute you can also
visit the Website: https://www.microsoft.com/
and fill out the consumer complaint form.Once you call,please provide your Reference no: TQ83729 in order for technicians to assist you better. Our Microsoft certified technician will provide you the best resolution. You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Windows Device Once again thank You for being a valued
customer !

Thank you,
Garry Gristwood
Customer Advocate
1-888-762-7186

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2018 - 05:02 PM.
Moved from Intros to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:44 PM

Either forget about it or call the number and cuss them out, I enjoy the latter!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 msream841

msream841
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

I have cursed them out when I get one of their stupid calls.  most of the time I don't pickup calls that have numbers I am not familier with.

My daughter like to lead them on and really gets them mad LOL

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

While there are legitimate emails from Microsoft, email phishing scams using the Microsoft name are very common so you have to be very careful. A legitimate email address domain from Microsoft is @accountprotection.microsoft.com.What is the recent activity page?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users