Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mining ? ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

To start I know -0- about mining currency, but I am curious why it has driven prices up on video cards and I think ram.  Why is this happening?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

I know nothing about mining currency either but from what I've read high powered video cards with lots of memory are best.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/01/cryptocurrency-boom-creates-insane-global-graphics-card-shortage/

Edited by The-Toolman, 08 March 2018 - 05:56 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

Light reading....

https://www.coindesk.com/

CC Mining is insane and a decent machine needs a high end graphics card.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

How are these types of currency backed, kind of a weird setup if you ask me.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

@ OldPhil #4

They are backed the same way virtually every currency in the world is - by faith in it. Whether or not this faith in digital currency is justified is another question. Since you live in the States you might look up the SEC's opinions on the subject.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

Not one of them is backed up by anything except the full faith (LMFAO) of the company that floated them.  There may be a place for CC, but I not know what it is aside from drug deals and money laundering.  What is truly a hoot is that many of them have HUGE floats so scarcity is certainly not a factor.

https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

Ouch.

Senate is holding another hearing next week on CCs.  That ought to be ajoke since those clowns do not know their *** from a hole in the ground.  Imagine the glass eyed stairs as they discuss block chains, smart contracts and wallets.  :hysterical:  SEC & CFTC have finally taken an interest after nearly 10 years,  Duh.

Edited by DavidLMO, 08 March 2018 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users