Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Buy 2TB external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

I am thinking aboutr WD, Western Digital, because I have had nothing but problems with the Seagate Backup Plus.

But on Amazon there are several variants of the WD 2TB external HDD, with a huge spread in price.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_five_bro_0?fst=as%3Aoff%2Cp90x%3A1&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A1292110011%2Cn%3A595048%2Ck%3Awestern+digital+external+hard+drive%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A7817230011%2Cp_89%3AWestern+Digital%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A2419645011&keywords=western+digital+external+hard+drive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520541325&rnid=2419643011

I am wondering what the differences mean. I am willing spend the money to get something that really works reliably

system Sony Vaio Laptop(2011) 500 GB

Linux Mint 18.3 new install

Questions:

What files system should I get the drive formatted for?  Should I reformat?  so does the files system it comes with matter?

The names of the different hard drives are "Elements" "My Passport"

One model is label "gaming storage"

Another model is labelled for Mac

Some are described as having USB 3.0  I think my computer is USB 2.0

One HDD is wireless. Would this be secure and would it work with an older laptop? A lot problems I have had with my Seagate Backup Plus had to do with the USB connection.

Any recommendations on choosing the more reliable product would be welcomed.

Attached File  WD_EXTERNAL_HDD.pdf   1.12MB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

pay no attention to all the descriptions......its just marketing non-sense.....

your basically buying a hard drive in a box

you can buy them seperately if you want......just buy the hard drive you want, then buy an enclosure

Edited by mikey11, 08 March 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

I'll also put in two observations:

1.  I have had better luck, much better luck, with the longevity of portable USB powered external hard drives than with desktop models with an external power supply.  

2.  My Toshiba Canvio portable hard drive has been running for about 5 years now, has been used to back up 5 different machines, and has suffered some drops of less than 18" on to a carpeted surface and just keeps going and going and going.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

If you intend on using on a constant basis consider getting an enclosure with a fan, some will argue but heat is not your friend.  I have seen a few of these puppies die early.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:30 AM

Getting dropped is what usually kills these portables

Edited by Joe C, 09 March 2018 - 07:30 AM.

#6 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

pay no attention to all the descriptions......its just marketing non-sense.....

your basically buying a hard drive in a box

you can buy them seperately if you want......just buy the hard drive you want, then buy an enclosure

The price spread is between $69 and $300 for what they call a "pro"

There must be some difference between them.

What should  expect to pay for a good drive?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

There is virtually no difference in the drive itself. You pay slightly more for a metal enclosure and more still for the longer warranty that comes with "pro" tbat you're highly unlikely to use, since failures are almost always within 6 months to 1 year.

I would never spend $300 for a 2TB HDD.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

By the way. A Toshiba Canvio Pro 3TB, in an aluminium clad enclosure, can be had on Amazon for under $100.

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

The WD Pro uses a Thunderbolt cable, if your pc does not have a Thunderbolt connector on the motherboard, then do not buy it

#10 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

The price spread is between $69 and $300 for what they call a "pro"

There must be some difference between them.

What should  expect to pay for a good drive?

im not sure where your located.....where i am i can get a 2TB WD drive for about $60USD

and a USB enclosure with power supply for as little as $25 USD

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

Brian mentioned the Toshiba Canvio Pro 3TB, I have an old T drive that has been great.  I Googled the reviews o the one he mentioned looks like the still make a good drive.

#12 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

By the way. A Toshiba Canvio Pro 3TB, in an aluminium clad enclosure, can be had on Amazon for under $100.

Thanks alot for this tip. I found it.

Do you know if it will it work with Linux?

I am getting irritated at these tech companies that make their stuff compatible with only Mac and Windows. So I have to hope that Mac OS is close enought to linux that stuff will work.

Would I have to reformat it?

I am thinking that that might have been the problem with the seagate I have now, is that I did not reformat.

Edited by Achaemenid, 11 March 2018 - 07:59 PM.

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

Hard drives don't care what you stuff on them!

#14 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

The Mac / Windows thing is only advertising hype.

I got a 1 tb passport drive real cheap from someone on Craigslist  because they could not use it for windows....It only took a simple format to make it a NTFS file system for windows

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

Since Linux has native support for NTFS it will work with any drive that's preformatted for Windows.   Were it a drive formatted for Mac you would have to reformat it.

It is Apple, and Apple alone, that uses a file system that, well, only it uses.  [I can't say proprietary as NTFS is, technically, but for all practical intents and purposes . . .]

By the way, if you anticipate using a drive on both Windows and Mac then reformat it as exFAT to begin with and both will be perfectly happy with it.

Edited by britechguy, 11 March 2018 - 09:07 PM.
Added note on exFAT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users