Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why are my fans racing at high speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

Re: Dell Inspiron 546 Desktop (not mini). I disconnected all the wires & cables going from the power supply to the motherboard & other destinations in order to check the voltages on my power supply and they all checked out OK. Then I  reconnected everything & turned the computer on a the CPU fan & the fan mounted on the back took off racing., The fan on the power supply was operating normally. The only way I can stop them is to remove the power cord, I tried it again and the same thing happens, The only other times I experienced this problem is when there is a house power failure when the power goes off and comes right back on and the fans click in, In that case, all I had to do was to shut the power off going to the computer and turn it back on again and everything went back to normal, The motherboard is a refurbished unit I bought from Dell, 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

download and run speccy....post the log here.....or look at the CPU temp....what is it?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

Did you take care to make sure that the switches were plugged back in to the connector they were originally installed in?  The connectors are keyed, so you should not be able to plug this connectors in improperly.  Some fans will have more than two wire to the fan for temperature controlled fan speed.  If a three or four wire connector is plugged into a twp pin connector there will be not speed control.

In this situation I don't believe a Speccy Snapshot is going to reveal anything pertinent to the fan speed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users