Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba external hard disk not showing newly transferred folders/files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KrystleLow

KrystleLow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

I recently transferred some folders/files (music and isofiles) from my friend's laptop into my Toshiba external hard disk. But when I connect it to my laptop, those folders/files are not there. I've used my friend's laptop to transfer things into my hard drive before, and had no problems. All my previous files/folders etc are there and remained untouched; it's just those newly transferred files that are not there (as if they hadn't existed at all!). I opened the files on my hard disk through my friend's laptop just to make sure they're there and working, which they were. (I transferred them yesterday and found them gone when I used my laptop at home, so I initially assumed that I somehow hadn't transferred it properly)

So today I re-transferred the files. They show when I open them on my friend's laptop, but not on mine.

I've tried everything. The files aren't hidden (and I double-checked just to be sure), I've run cmd and attrib prompts (none worked), I've done an antivirus scan on the whole disk, and checked for damage. I'm just about desperate for answers.  :unsure: 

Not sure my laptop specifications would help in this case, but just in case: my processor is an AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2.20GHz) and runs on Windows 8.

Anyone know of any solution? I can still transfer things from my own laptop to the hard disk with no problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

For a check: Download Everything Portable. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Right click the Everything.exe file and Run as Administrator. Type the first few letters of the files you transferred. Are they shown on the external drive? 

When you copied the files did you copy them to the root of the external drive? What happens if you create a new folder on your computer and then transfer the files to this new folder. Do you now see the files on your computer in the newly created folder?

#3 KrystleLow

KrystleLow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

Ahh right, I forgot to mention that I did that too. The folder/files did not come up. ‍♀️

I transfered them to a folder, and in my friend’s laptop, they were there and I could open the files properly and everything. It’s only when I plug my hard drive to my laptop that those files were not there.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Try Everything. If that fails to find your files then go to another computer other than your friend's and copy some files to your Toshiba. If they copy fine then the fault is with your friend's computer. Do you also have System Files visible? Though I can't imagine the files you copied being system files.

What OS is on your friend's computer? Windows 10?

#5 KrystleLow

KrystleLow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

Try Everything. If that fails to find your files then go to another computer other than your friend's and copy some files to your Toshiba. If they copy fine then the fault is with your friend's computer. Do you also have System Files visible? Though I can't imagine the files you copied being system files.

What OS is on your friend's computer? Windows 10?

Yup, I tried Everything. That's what I meant when I said I did that too haha. And yeah I made System Files visible too, but the ones I want didn't turn up. I think hers runs on 8 too.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Other than trying to copy files on another computer I don't have any ideas on this strange problem. Your or your friend does not use hibernation on Windows 8? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users